• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blackops died - possibly CPU is the reason

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffrs

Hi All,

I have a Blackops MB based system, Q6600 (SLACR), not overclocked. The machine has never given me trouble before but failed to a black screen a few days ago. I found that the power supply would come up for an instant, then turn off, repeat.

I swapped in another video card (it was a 4870 overclocked and liquid cooled as is the CPU and copper box, new one is a 4870x2), tried removing everything one at a time till all that was left was the MB and processor. Then I removed the CPU. Then the power came up. Of course not much happens after that. I also tried another known good power supply.

Would anyone know if the debug display should be off without a CPU in place? Any other diagnostic suggestions would be appreciated. The only idea I have is to get another CPU or somehow have mine tested. It is not clear to me that it is the CPU, as it could be one of the bridges (screwed).

Thanks.

Jeff

I Foxconn motherboard?

As a note memory can give you all kinds of really odd errors. Bad memory can make it look like other parts of the system are bad. So I would try just 1 stick, if u still have problems try the other, still have problems put 1 stick in a different bank.

The other issue if u think its the CPU could be the heat sink came lose. Thermal shut down could cause this too.

and welcome to the forums man!

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the welcome.

I removed both sticks, the Sonus sound module, and removed power from everything not the MB. Basically, there is nothing left to remove. The CPU is under a D-Tek Fuzion and I'm very particular about details like thermal paste (Arctic V). The supply comes up and goes down far too quickly for it to be a thermal issue now.

Jeff

Yes, it is a Foxconn Blackops socket 775.

The power comes up for an estimated 500mS, long enough to see the diag display flash FF (and I really mean just a flash) and the fans get a jolt. Then the power shuts down for about 5 seconds. The process repeats. I think it is odd but this behavior is most likely normal for a specific kind of failure. There are no beeps.

Problem solved. I cleared CMOS. How it got corrupted will forever be a mystery!

Thanks.

That sounds like a socket or CPU problem, check the seating and also inspect the pins for damage
The board is also very particular with RAM, so start with only one stick in the primary slot

Back