• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Addaware takes so long...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Howdy Everybody,
I went to Mom's house and installed the new Addaware and started the scan and went home...it has been four hours and it is still running :confused:
My Mom is calling asking if it is ok to do her email...I told her that it was ok to do it, but she decided to wait till it is done.

4 Hours? Come on...I don't even do things I like for 4 hrs.

Her system is kinda old, but should be fast enough to blaze thru the scan.

The spec's are
Asus A8V-MX socket 939
Athlon 64 3800+ (venice)
1gb supertalent ddr400
Maxtor 100gb pata
Geforce2 MX 400
450 watt power supply (can't rember the brand)

I know that adding memory will improve the scan times, but is there anything else that I can do to speed it up without overclocking the system?
TIA,
Doc

Yeah, Ad-aware has pretty well turned into bloated fail anymore. But I don't remember ever being thrilled with the scan times, even 6-7 years ago.

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are the ones I use... the former for just general scans, and the latter when I suspect there's something Malwarebytes isn't finding. And they even work fine on machines with 512MB RAM, so memory isn't really a problem.

I just started using Malwarebytes about a month ago..and have Avira installed also.
Addaware is just a leftover from the earlier days..but when I decided to use it, it said that a new version was available and I upgraded...Addaware seems to be following the Norton model...bloat it up till it is an unusable system hog, then charge a fortune for it.

I don't care much for Avira, but it is free, so now I will try SuperAntispyware (Thanks O.T.) just to see how it works.
On my machine,I use MB, MS Security essentials, and Avira.
I used to use Norton exclusively, but when they turned it into a system hog, I went elsewhere. I really like PC Tools Spyware Doctor, but You need money to buy it, and lately I can barely keep the roof over my head, so Spyware Doc is a luxury I cannot afford at this time.
I hope this economy turns around soon...I am in limbo till things get better.

Back