• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Christmas Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokin9

Registered
Hello everyone... its my time to upgrade so I've been searching and researching for what to get.

I have it down to the following

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-P55A-UD4P

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9

I use my PC mostly for gaming, I'd like to get at least a couple of years from this. This is actually the longest I've been without upgrading and it still seems pretty decent.

Right now I've got a...

Core Duo E6400 2.1 @ 2.8
Asus p5be Deluxe
4 MB Ram
Saphire ATI 5850

I'm def going to overclock to get the most out time out of my build.

Now I've been reading about Sandybridge and I know its going to hit in early Jan but I'm not sure the early version are for me so I'm leaning more towards the i7 build.

Anyone have any advice on my system good or bad or suggest a change let me know.

Thanks!

If I were you I would wait until Sandy Bridge launches. At the very least it should drive down the prices on the P55 stuff you are looking at.

I would probably scratch out the triple channel memory since P55 uses dual. Get a nice 4gb kit or an 8gb kit, and you'll be good.

Do you have a Microcenter nearby? 870's going for $229 there. I had a P55-UD3, and wouldn't see the need for the UD4. May be able to save a few bucks there. What CPU cooler are you planning on?

I would probably scratch out the triple channel memory since P55 uses dual. Get a nice 4gb kit or an 8gb kit, and you'll be good.

Do you have a Microcenter nearby? 870's going for $229 there. I had a P55-UD3, and wouldn't see the need for the UD4. May be able to save a few bucks there. What CPU cooler are you planning on?

Yea I actually noticed that as I was researching more. Actually while doing more of that I've changed up completely. Seeing how 1155 is replacing 1156 pretty soon (I'm sure 1156 will still be around a little longer) I've decided to go the 1366 route so that changes everything. I've heard that the replacement for 1366 wont come until later in 2011. I was thinking of doing this...

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

No microcenter close by, so I'd have to order everything online. I'd probably see how high I could get with the stock hsf first and if I wanted to go much higher seek out a better one.

So maybe Ill wait a few weeks and buy to see if prices come down... or might buy now, it is a xmas gift to me. ;)

Yea I actually noticed that as I was researching more. Actually while doing more of that I've changed up completely. Seeing how 1155 is replacing 1156 pretty soon (I'm sure 1156 will still be around a little longer) I've decided to go the 1366 route so that changes everything. I've heard that the replacement for 1366 wont come until later in 2011. I was thinking of doing this...

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

No microcenter close by, so I'd have to order everything online. I'd probably see how high I could get with the stock hsf first and if I wanted to go much higher seek out a better one.

So maybe Ill wait a few weeks and buy to see if prices come down... or might buy now, it is a xmas gift to me. ;)

Don't bother with the stock heatsink. There are plenty of inexpensive aftermarket coolers that will boost your OC ability significantly.

cogage true spirit.. pretty high marks for being a pretty cheap cooler for x58 platform

and the stock hsf is good for approximately 3.6Ghz oc.. but not really beyond that

I just tried a stock hsf on an i7 870, and idle temps were 36. Put on my Megahalems with no fan and it was 19-20. Kept the Megahalems on it. Needless to say.

Back