• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Batch reference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fatticus

Quick question, i was reading about batch numbers and how some batches are a lot better for overclocking and so on. I was reading that some i7 chips can get massive overclocks with hardly bumping the voltage much. but where do i find my batch number ?! im prety sure i got a crappy i7 i needed to bump voltage pretty high to get a solid 4.5Ghz overclock from 2.8

Batch number is on the retail box, unfortunately it's not stamped on the CPU itself if i recall correctly.

If you got to 4.5 ghz on water with good stability, you got a good chip (unless you're at >1.45vcore or somesuch).
What is interesting with i7s is that it's a sliding scale, on one end you have low vcore for high speed chips, which tend to run very hot for a given vcore/speed.
On the other end are high vcore for high speed chips, which tend to run cooler then the low vcore ones.
There are of course a lot in between as well.

I say be happy, 4.5ghz with 24/7 stability is better then most get!

Eh, there are still a lot of i7 cpus that flat out will not run 4.5ghz on anything but extreme cooling. And a few that won't even do it then.

well my proc runs kinda hot for sure, it hit low 90's after hours of prime 95, i just figure as long as i can keep it under 80 while i game im all good, i don't understand how you can even kill a i7 chip if they slow down when they hit 100c, i guess if you set the voltage to like 1.6 or higher or something ?

i just thought it was really neat how people will hunt batch's down and such to find the best chip to overclock ! ahah sneeky...

Batch number is the last line of text printed on the CPU, something like L737B281. It's also labeled FPO/Batch on the retail box sticker.

TJmax is the temp at which the CPU will start to throttle if you have Thermal Monitor or TM enabled in the BIOS. TM is usually listed where SpeedStep, C1E, Turbo, etc. are located. Whenever I bench CPUs on ambient cooling I turn TM off and never check temps so throttling or being a wuss won't hold me back. The quote "Ignorance is bliss." comes to mind :)

hahahahah !! ^^ that was epic. "being a wuss won't hold me back"

i7 930 batch 3001A947 / 4.5Ghz @ 1.45Vcore

Last edited:
A combination of volts and temps, usually.
What is a safe vcore at 60*c may not be at 95*c.

Back