• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I modded my monitor!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
today i grew some balls and decided to hack apart the monitor :p im not done yet, when i get some money im getting windows in the sides of it (broke right now). but this is what ive got so far.
all the wiring inside: the power supply for the mods is in the middle, rheostat i bought from hoot on the left and the light switches are there too, and the evil inverters (more on that later)
Monitor%201.jpg

Monitor%202.jpg

Back view
Monitor%203.jpg

Top view with lights on
Monitor%204.jpg

Dark shot: camera sux at night, the lights are much brighter than that.
Monitor%205.jpg

ive run into a problem with this, the power inverters for the cold cathode lights cause the monitor to do funky things when they are on. is there anyway i could sheild these? prehaps by wraping them in tin foil? ill have to do it to the power supply as well cuz it makes the picture all wavy but not to the extent that the inverters do.

CRTs are very sensitive to magnetic fields near them. I don't know if you will be able to adequately shield yours from all that wiring inside the housing.

Looks nice though.

Hoot

I was thinkin the same thing Hoot mentioned......Paycheck_Donny did a similiar mod~ less the lighting you added..

Very cool none the less.....

Red, Have you considered buying some Lead sheeting like a millimeter thick, I used to have a roll of 12" x 24" x 1mm thick lead sheeting.

I wish i didnt give it away as thats probably the only way I can think of reducing the EMI from your fans and wiring.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion.:rolleyes:

Grounded tin foil would prevent EMI from escaping the inverter circuitry, but if the waviness is coming from the EMF of the inverter's transformer (which it probably is) then you'll probably have to do something else like relocate them as far away from the back of the CRT as possible or even further. I don't know how far but the transformers for CCF lamp drivers are small and I can't imagine they produce very much of an EMF.

Like Sam mentioned above, I did a cooling mod to my monitor a few months ago. Electrically it's more involved because I switched and ran the fan from the monitor's internal circuitry, but you might get some ideas from it.

edit- I did nothing involving lights though, now THAT is cool! Props to you for what you've got so far my man...:cool:

Last edited:
man, my monitor is so old i can only have it on for about 2 hours that i need to turn it off to cool for about 45 minutes or else all my straight lines on the screen squiggle.

I have to do that to mine!

awsome idea

urza

urza said:
man, my monitor is so old i can only have it on for about 2 hours that i need to turn it off to cool for about 45 minutes or else all my straight lines on the screen squiggle.

I have to do that to mine!

awsome idea

urza

And people say it's a waste of time! Bah!

Not bad, i like the lights. Why not just remote mount the inverters??

O, and the fans look kinda gheto on top like that. You should drill holes and put them inside if they will fit.

Back