• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Chrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Today, It changed to an unknown application (as I was using it)

Uninstalled fine, however as I downloaded and installed it.

*I can scan the file, and it comes clean. It only happens when I try to install Chrome. (No matter how many times I download the file)

Attachments

• Chrome.jpg
    Chrome.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Today, It changed to an unknown application (as I was using it)

Uninstalled fine, however as I downloaded and installed it.

*I can scan the file, and it comes clean. It only happens when I try to install Chrome. (No matter how many times I download the file)

Please explain what you mean by that?

If you went to the actual Google's Chrome DL site, and you're 100% sure you have the legit installer, I'd just run msconfig, set AVG not to boot, boot, install chrome, msconfig, set AVG to boot, and go use Chrome.

Yeah when you go to the google chrome page (It downloads a small .exe)

This .exe downloads the actual browser.

How or what caused it? I do not know, I updated the definitions on my AVG, scanned. (clean) shut it off (installed chrome) scanned.

AVG found nothing, and chrome is working again.

Unknown application (IE change a known file to something windows does not recognise)

Found the problem/solution

Google was trying to update itself, AVG has a setting (default) to not allow a program to launch if it has a low priority. When google ran the update, AVG failed to allow it to update resulting in a curropted file (thus unknown)

Back