• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shipping a stick of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

Anybody got a cheap idea how to ship a stick of standard ram?

i got envelopes with self adhesive and some cardboard scraps. How much total do you guys think it will cost? I shipped one before but paid like $2.50 thinking that is way high.

let me know your ideas.

Wrap it in an anti-static bag and place it in one of the small manilla envelopes that has bubble wrap on the inside. You really aren't going to get much cheaper than $2.50; that is really cheap.

the weight on my food scale is around 1.1 i cut the manila envelope in half. I bet that might help. I just want to send it for around a buck fifity sounds like a cheap skate i know but i am just learning the ins and outs of shipping.

I've been wrapping them (or cpus) in an anti-static bag, then four to six feet of paper towel, and then wrapping that in cardboard to make my own shipping box/tube, then taping the hell out of it.
Comes out to between $1.12 and $1.90 so far, 100% success rate.

I've been wrapping them (or cpus) in an anti-static bag, then four to six feet of paper towel, and then wrapping that in cardboard to make my own shipping box/tube, then taping the hell out of it.
Comes out to between $1.12 and $1.90 so far, 100% success rate.

do you put that in a envelope?

Nope once i've wrapped it in cardboard and tape i tape a label to it and take it into the post office and ship it first class package.

double padded envelopes . one fits in the other. +the antistat or case item.
its not that i dont trust shippers, its what a package goes through to get there.

i could not believe it when a customer reported that DVDs in plastic cases (I worked hard to make), the dvds disks themselves were Shattered into pieces. that was after packing it with 1" of padding around the box. it was a colder time, but this is california. the same DVD item, i can bend 2 inches backwards and not break it.

I have seen packages come in that look like they were drop shipped from the space shuttle :) and STILL people will ship things as if it is delivered via a chauffeured limo.

if it is worth something, protect the heck out of it.

i could not believe it when a customer reported that DVDs in plastic cases (I worked hard to make), the dvds disks themselves were Shattered into pieces. that was after packing it with 1" of padding around the box. it was a colder time, but this is california. the same DVD item, i can bend 2 inches backwards and not break it.

I have seen packages come in that look like they were drop shipped from the space shuttle :) and STILL people will ship things as if it is delivered via a chauffeured limo.
Was that USPS? I've never seen them torture packages like UPS or FedEx does ...

Was that USPS? I've never seen them torture packages like UPS or FedEx does ...

i dont remember.
with USPS when it is "envelope" size we have gotten some problems through the Machines processing. so a bulging padded 8x10" envelope or similar.
anything that isnt normal, see the UPS guy carting around packages, and the small one or the envelopes falling off his cart. see the USPS people seemingly incapable of dealing with packages that dont fit into mailboxes :)
as if each one has thier "specialty".:salute:

the item would be cheaper to give a refund for then to over package it. Hey psyco i think that your item was not shipped with a proper means. Media mail has restrictions. And if an item is to big or bulging it fail's in the mail sorting machines.

Thanks. stil dont know what the f is a shipping tube made of something flat but ok. this alchol is not helping either.

the item would be cheaper to give a refund for then to over package it. .

nowdays it isnt so much the product price, but the Heck the user has to go through, when they cant Figure out WHY some high tech thing doesnt work. is it the machine, is it the parts, is it just ME :burn:
Look i saved $20, and it only took me 3 HOURS to figure out why it wouldnt work .

I do similar to BobNova when posting cpus or ram, anti static bag, a few layers of tissue or bubble wrap, then brown paper and parcel tape, has worked for everything I have posted that way.

hard drives are completely different, I had a Raptor in anti static bag, 3 inches of polystyrene, bubble wrap and a cardboard box and it got damaged in transit (motor just spins up then cuts out, does this about 5 times then just sits there powered down) the box was well beaten up, had a hole in 1 of the corners.

If you can ship anything USPS first class, which is anything under like 3/4 of a pound I think, that is the way to go. You don't need special packaging, anything will do. I don't know how you ended up paying $2.50 to ship a stick of ram.

If you can ship anything USPS first class, which is anything under like 3/4 of a pound I think, that is the way to go. You don't need special packaging, anything will do. I don't know how you ended up paying $2.50 to ship a stick of ram.

yeah 2.38 cents bubble wrap envelope the manilla kind.

thinkin i will do bubble wrap and cardboard in envelope.

Last edited:
Back