• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems Starting Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King_Yoshi

I had built this rig about 3 months ago and it was running perfectly fine. However this morning, I tried to turn it on and was unable to.

Whenever I turn on the power to the power supply the usual lights on the motherboard do not turn on.

The only lights that are seen are the logo light and the "reset" buton light, which continually turn on and off.

Below is a quick video, of the lights, which I took with a digital camera and posted on youtube.

I had tested the power supply, which worked just fine when not attached to this rig, I reset cmos, and even took out the cmos battery, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then put it back in, with no luck so far.

I have been desperately researching the problem, but have not come up with any solutions. There does not seem to be anyone that has the same sympoms that this computer seems to have.

I believe that the problem has to do with the mobo, which is why i posted here or help. And would greatly appreciate feedback of any kind pertaining to this problem.

Below are the specs for my current rig:

CPU
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHZ

Motherboard
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA

Memory
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB DDR3

Graphics Card
EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 SuperC

Hard Drive
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSD 2.5" 160GB

Power Supply
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V

Case
COOLER MASTER HAF 932

CPU cooling
Noctua NH-D14

Monitor
2x Samsung 23 inch

First, let me say I'm jealous. That rig is something I wish I could build! But in all honesty to me it sounds like your mobo is dead. Whether its due to heat issues or just a bad board I don't know. To rule it out, if you have the ability, try throwing your PSU in an old rig. If it works, then you know that isn't the issue. If you can't do that, try to see if you can hear the PSU fan going. If you can it doesn't necessarily mean its not your PSU, but if you don't hear it at all, there's a good chance it is.

First, let me say I'm jealous. That rig is something I wish I could build! But in all honesty to me it sounds like your mobo is dead. Whether its due to heat issues or just a bad board I don't know. To rule it out, if you have the ability, try throwing your PSU in an old rig. If it works, then you know that isn't the issue. If you can't do that, try to see if you can hear the PSU fan going. If you can it doesn't necessarily mean its not your PSU, but if you don't hear it at all, there's a good chance it is.

It took me 3 years of saving to finally build this rig. (Yes It's my dream rig)

The PSU is fine I tested it before. I just was wondering how to test if its the RAM, or CPU.

I finished inspecting every single part, and seem to have found the answer.

It seemed that every time I unplugged the cases USB connector,everything would function normally, but when I plugged it back in, nothing would work...

I of course found this after testing everything else.... X)

I have NEVER heard of a USB connection stopping a mobo from operating properly. It is he oddest thing. And what confuses me the most is how suddenly and randomly it stopped working.

I honestly have no idea. That is why I am dumbfounded. There is no burnt smell, nothing burned charred, black. No residue. I would probably have to look at the part of the case that houses all its front panel electronics.

I have NEVER heard of a USB connection stopping a mobo from operating properly. It is he oddest thing. And what confuses me the most is how suddenly and randomly it stopped working.

iROG boards seem to do odd things..

I got 'oc fail' on the most rock solid OC ever after using a DVI cable instead of HDMI to test a new monitor. Reloaded OC profile, still umpteen hours blend stable. Disconnect all non critical connections. Save any OC, stock settings.

Can you voltmeter the PSU and motherboard?

Back