• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Vista recovery partition corruption prevents boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'm at a relatives house in a different state. I was cleaning up their pc, installing avg over the expired norton, and all was well. I left the pc for dinner, came back and it was a black screen. I couldn't get it to wake up, so after a few minutes I hard booted off. Now when you turn it one, it goes to the same blank screen. I have my ubuntu usb and I booted off of that. I ran ntfsfix and found that there is corruption on the back up partition. Now I know that these machines always chainboot through that recovery partition. I know all I need to do is run chckdisk on that partition. However I don't have a windows cd with me. Is there any way I can disable that and boot straight to windows vista?

If I can just directly boot into windows and bypass the recovery I'll be fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you've tried the F8 boot menu?

I can't get there, it freezes before that. If I let it go long enough I get an error about /boot/bcd with an error code found here.

I don't have a windows cd, and neither do they. They didn't create the recovery dvd's either. I've run the western digital diagnostic tool and the quick test said to run an extended test. The exteneded test tells me
Too many errors found - please contact technical support
error/status code: 0225

Then you'll have to order recovery media from HP and if they are under warranty (unlikely) get the drive replaced from HP.

Then you'll have to order recovery media from HP and if they are under warranty (unlikely) get the drive replaced from HP.

Yeah the drive is under warranty by western digital, but I'm trying to get it working. Since we don't have any backup disk, it's just not a good thing. Thanks though, I was afraid it might be dead :-/

edit:

If I put the hdd into ide mode, windows with say "Windows is loading files...", the bar will get all the weay to the "i" in files then the bar restarts, and loops. That's all I've gotten so far.

Last edited:
Back