• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble installing sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Barton

I got a new sound card a couple weeks ago for my music server. The card is an Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, which uses the VIA Envy24HT chipset. Im running the card in a Vortexbox appliance which I built around the time I got it. Vortexbox is based off of Fedora 14 x86. My problem is I cant adjust the volume through software, so Ive added a passive preamp in between my amp and music server so I can change the volume until I get this fixed. I have hardly any mixer controls in my alsamixer, and Im only able to mute the audio or run it 100%. Heres a picture of my alsamixer:

Screenshot-rootvortexbox.png

The card seems to be detected fine, but I get no volume sliders anywhere. Any ideas? Ive googled around, but couldnt find a definite fix for this.

can you paste the output of the following?

Code:
lsmod
ls -l /dev/snd
lspci

Got it working! Apparently, this new edition of the Audiotrak HD2 has a different EEPROM than the older version, so I flashed the EEPROM and all is good!

Hello Sir Barton,

I have the same gyrocom korea audio card here in Chile, on alsa 1.0.23 i can not go to 24/192 max sample rate only 24/96.

Maybe a downgrade firmware can fix eeprom problem with the 96 KHz sample rate limit?

I think to use this guide found on google, but I not sure at this time

My apologies for my not so good english language.

"1. download the software:
rom update pack: http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/audiotrak...om/HD2EEPW.zip and http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/audiotrak...rom/eeprom.zip
driver update pcack:http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/zeroboard...3264_00975.zip
unzip the three packs you will get two DOS EXEs the driver pack folder

2. uninstall the VIA driver. And you also may need to run the "UnInstall_32.exe" under the "win32\" in the driver pack folder ("x64\" if you are using a 64bit windows) to do some cleanup if you are trying to upgrade from a previous Audiotrak driver. The "UnInstall_32.exe" has some bugs to process the INF files which will crash this program. A simple way to omit this is to temporary move these INF files to another place and after the clean up move them back.

3. tweak your card and update the ROM:
a) power off the computer and uninstall the HD2 card, set jp4 jumper to on (connect the two pins) and keep it on after then. If you change it back the analog will not output any signal. After the tweak you can install it back to your computer.
b) startup to DOS and execute the rom update program "HD2EEPW.exe" restart to DOS again and run "eeprom.exe". If the program output "PASS" the ROM update is performed successfully

4. start up to your windows, the device manager will popup to say new hardware is found. follow the steps to install the driver. Don't forget to add the new driver pack path to the the driver search path. The new hardware will appear as "Prodigy HD2 controller". During installation the device manager will warn you about the "no signature" stuff you have to install anyway. When this driver has been installed successfully two other device will be found. Let the windows install them automatically."

Thanks for your advice.

Hello Sir Barton,

I have the same gyrocom korea audio card here in Chile, on alsa 1.0.23 i can not go to 24/192 max sample rate only 24/96.

Maybe a downgrade firmware can fix eeprom problem with the 96 KHz sample rate limit?

I think to use this guide found on google, but I not sure at this time

My apologies for my not so good english language.

"1. download the software:
rom update pack: http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/audiotrak...om/HD2EEPW.zip and http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/audiotrak...rom/eeprom.zip
driver update pcack:http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/zeroboard...3264_00975.zip
unzip the three packs you will get two DOS EXEs the driver pack folder

2. uninstall the VIA driver. And you also may need to run the "UnInstall_32.exe" under the "win32\" in the driver pack folder ("x64\" if you are using a 64bit windows) to do some cleanup if you are trying to upgrade from a previous Audiotrak driver. The "UnInstall_32.exe" has some bugs to process the INF files which will crash this program. A simple way to omit this is to temporary move these INF files to another place and after the clean up move them back.

3. tweak your card and update the ROM:
a) power off the computer and uninstall the HD2 card, set jp4 jumper to on (connect the two pins) and keep it on after then. If you change it back the analog will not output any signal. After the tweak you can install it back to your computer.
b) startup to DOS and execute the rom update program "HD2EEPW.exe" restart to DOS again and run "eeprom.exe". If the program output "PASS" the ROM update is performed successfully

4. start up to your windows, the device manager will popup to say new hardware is found. follow the steps to install the driver. Don't forget to add the new driver pack path to the the driver search path. The new hardware will appear as "Prodigy HD2 controller". During installation the device manager will warn you about the "no signature" stuff you have to install anyway. When this driver has been installed successfully two other device will be found. Let the windows install them automatically."

Thanks for your advice.

Well, if you're not a spammer (been seeing a lot of semi off topic replies that look a LOT like spam of late), and you're using ALSA then you're using a version of linux and aren't using Windows, so you can't follow that guide which is meant for Windows users.

So, first we'd need to know what your OS is.

Well, if you're not a spammer (been seeing a lot of semi off topic replies that look a LOT like spam of late), and you're using ALSA then you're using a version of linux and aren't using Windows, so you can't follow that guide which is meant for Windows users.

So, first we'd need to know what your OS is.

Sure I am not an spammer. I build a DIY vortexbox 1.7 black box wich is based on Fedora 14 and I put in it the same Sir barton Prodigy HD2 card but it is not fully recognized and I need some advice before use that google guide in order to flash EPROM with a old firmware in other computer running a pure DOS mode of course.

I have only one card to experiment so I am try to not do a big mistake. on the other hand it sound very good at 44.1 and high rez 24/96 FLAC archives.

Thanks.

Ok, i see what you're doing now. Not totally sure how to help but I understand what you're looking for.

You have the same card, but your Fedora based Vortexbox and need to flash the eeprom.
You have a DOS based system on hand that you can use to flash the card following the google guide you found.

You're looking for advice from SirBarton on how he flashed his eeprom, if the guide is accurate, and any other related info he has on how he flashed it.

Sorry to have sounded rude, I've just been a little put off by some of the odd looking posts i've seen on the forums more recently. (some of which were spam)

Back