• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3700X / Amd Fury constant black screens with sound freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackmangusta

Registered
Hello, i'm having a nerve wracking problem, i actually thought i fixed it already a month ago, i was running a vm and one day every time i tried to launch vmware i would get black screen+sound buzz, so i disabled amd virtualization in BIOS, and i was crash free for about a month, but 2 days ago black screens returned, its the same sound hangup/freeze as usual

My components are here
013d8303b5383e4b82a8337c842f3f16.png

Description of Original Problem: The most common problem i see in eventvwr is kernel power 41 error, and before that it was LiveKernelEvent code 141. The problem is best illustrated like here
Author says changing PSU fixed his issue, but as i said i've tried to max stress the cpu/gpu to rule it out. And the issue happens even at very low demanding game like LoL where my gpu/cpu usage is pathetic low.

Troubleshooting: HooHooooo this will be long!!

-Clean installed GPU drivers, DDU, amd utility, installed 2017 drivers

-Installed new chipset drivers, amd ryzen power plan.

-Reseated GPU and power cables many many times

-Stress tested my PSU to the max with things like Prime95+furmark+benchmark+4k yt video,
this should be max power draw scenario.

-Updated mobo BIOS twice

-Resetted to default BIOS many times, and meddled with some tinfoil settings

-Bought a new display, and changed cables from dvi-d to display port

-Disabled XMP, memtested it, no errors and they're properly seated for dual channel in correct spots.

-Underclocked, undervolted the gpu.

-Repasted the GPU which took a very long ****ing time because of HBM

-Used a sound card, and disabled onboard audio

-Unplugged one of the harddrivers

-Unplugged other display and left only one

Also, last time i had a whea logger 18 error, upon examining it with minidump viever says code 0x124 which im very familiar with unfortunaly. I dont know why i've baited myself into buying ****ty AMD again, when i was young i already dealt with 3 amd card RMA's with this problem. I cant even pinpoint what is the problem, i dont know if im supposed to RMA the cpu or not, ill be left without it for a month, maybe they wont even detect the issue, maybe its the card i'll buy a nvidia one and it'll still crash and i'll waste my money. I've spent so many days of my life troubleshooting AMD problems, this is the last time i ever bought anything from amd, and i've had 6770, 7770, 7870, R9 Fury and i was actually gonna bait myself into buying the king of black screens 5700 xt.

Someone help me with this **** or put a bullet in my head

One thing I always do is disable fast start up in BIOS if available and in Windows power settings, go to advanced and then choose what the power buttons do and you'll find the option to disable fast start up. When this is enabled the PC never truly shuts down which I have found can cause problems.
What sound options do you use? Sounds like the onboard. If so remove the AMD vid driver use DDU then when installing don't install the AMD HDMI sound driver

Yes it was disabled, or it reenabled itself after i resetted bios again, the power buttons i already changed months ago because someone advised it again..

I'm using audigy soundblaster, i used onboard audio with no sound card, sound card and onboard disabled in bios, no sound cards at all, it would still crash.

The issue is practically the same as here, same thing happens with my PC,
Dude says he changed his PSU and it fixed it, but as i said and i already uploaded a video of it where i run max stress test and it wouldn't crash.
My psu is XFX TS 650 w Gold

Sorry but i can't edit the posts? So i also removed one stick of ram right now, ran default with XMP off, it still crashed, and as i mentioned in the first post i ran memtest64 before and ram passed, so i guess im ruling it out.

Also additional note to those crashes, most of the time when it happens like 95% of them the pc is still running, it doesn't reboot unless i force it too, the fans are spinning, the sound is stuck on BRRRRRRRT.
Very rarely sometimes my fan would spin up to 100% for a moment and it would stay that way, or like yesterday that i finally got some error in event vwr WHEA logger 18

Temps of GPU and CPU i logged for 17 mins before crash, all in norm, it's not a thermal shutdown 100% sure.
https://i.gyazo.com/thumb/1200/bef9a27999783def881ab46024abc659-png.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/thumb/1200/caaa8b3185ece554846f42170b05ddd4-png.jpg

I will refresh again cause it's still happening obviously!!

I messaged amd and i followed some more of their useless tips, i disabled all hardware accel i could find, ran three different monitors with different refresh rates and all three different cables DVI-D, display port, HDMI.
Also reinstalled windows!
Black screen with TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound still happens, i'll try to explain the problem some more, first the screen cuts to black, the music/sound still goes on for like 2-3 seconds before looping eternally with a TRRRRRRRRRRRR sound, only hard reset helps.
Trying to cause it on demand is very hard as i said in my original post it's pretty much random, after reinstalling it happened on desktop, i'll play bf v for like 3 hours and it won't happen, but then ill play some company of hereos 2 it'll happen in 20 mins.

Have you tried running memtest86 LINk: https://www.memtest86.com/

Yes i did, no errors found
20201007_140842.jpg

I really wish it was this simple man, sometimes i ran valley bench, furmark etc for an hour and it wouldn't crash, yesterday i played for like 3 hours before it crashed.
I even made temparature logs with hwinfo to make sure it doesn't crash because of temps, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Here is a log from hwinfo when i crashed 17 mins after starting the logging
GPU temps
https://i.gyazo.com/bef9a27999783def881ab46024abc659.png
Cpu Temps
https://i.gyazo.com/caaa8b3185ece554846f42170b05ddd4.png

When playing mostly, i just finished playing BF v for like 4 hours and it didn't crash.
But for example right after i reinstalled the system i crashed at desktop.
When playing COH 2 it's bound to happen, Sims 4 will also crash, but high demanding game like BF V crashes the least.
Btw i've already had a very similiar, practically the same problem in 2018, i've troubleshooted many many times before sending the card for RMA, but they found nothing wrong with it.
But upon using it after that time all worked fine until i switched from 6600k to 3700x.
Bought ryzen in may, problems started about 1,5 months later, sometimes the problem disappeared for weeks, last time i was using VMWARE and every time i tried to launch it i got the black screen sound freeze, i disabled virtualization and the problem was gone for a month until it returned again!

Of course i've done basic troubleshoot like checking if it turned itself on again, or if the card, power cables are properly seated, there's just no logical explanation for me.
I don't have much money to spare to keep replacing working parts for new ones, i wish it was just the GPU but the way that this problem occurs and sometimes disappears is mind baffling to me

Can you try a different PSU. That is the only thing I can think off since you ran all the benchmarks. Did you run prime95 for a hour?

When playing mostly, i just finished playing BF v for like 4 hours and it didn't crash.
But for example right after i reinstalled the system i crashed at desktop.
When playing COH 2 it's bound to happen, Sims 4 will also crash, but high demanding game like BF V crashes the least.
Btw i've already had a very similiar, practically the same problem in 2018, i've troubleshooted many many times before sending the card for RMA, but they found nothing wrong with it.
But upon using it after that time all worked fine until i switched from 6600k to 3700x.
Bought ryzen in may, problems started about 1,5 months later, sometimes the problem disappeared for weeks, last time i was using VMWARE and every time i tried to launch it i got the black screen sound freeze, i disabled virtualization and the problem was gone for a month until it returned again!

Of course i've done basic troubleshoot like checking if it turned itself on again, or if the card, power cables are properly seated, there's just no logical explanation for me.
I don't have much money to spare to keep replacing working parts for new ones, i wish it was just the GPU but the way that this problem occurs and sometimes disappears is mind baffling to me

I have similar situation when setting voltage for CPU and negative offset. Wouldn't crash when CPU is used on all cores or several cores as then voltage needed was low. Because of how CPB works it needs
higer voltage only when boosting, so it crashed only on idle (high freq boost) or single thread. Setting voltage on auto and small offset remedied situation.

I can't i have no friends anymore in my small town, i'm currently saving money for 2070 super and i hope this will finally solve the problem, if not PSU would be next on my list, but it would really be super weird that i'm running furmark, GPU bench, p95 + yt video for absolute max power draw that i would never get close to on AMD fury, and my system won't crash. But playing some ****ty sims or RTS game will.

@bmaxa

I'm running on all stock, i don't use OC, PBO, Clocktuner, manual settings, i leave everything on auto as bios sets it up, my PC would still crash.

I can't i have no friends anymore in my small town, i'm currently saving money for 2070 super and i hope this will finally solve the problem, if not PSU would be next on my list, but it would really be super weird that i'm running furmark, GPU bench, p95 + yt video for absolute max power draw that i would never get close to on AMD fury, and my system won't crash. But playing some ****ty sims or RTS game will.

@bmaxa

I'm running on all stock, i don't use OC, PBO, Clocktuner, manual settings, i leave everything on auto as bios sets it up, my PC would still crash.

Then turn off CPB in bios as it is on by default...

This really sounds to me like driver/os corruption.
Do you have another HDD/SSD around that you can load a fresh install of Windows onto? If so disconnect all other drives and try it out and install only what you need which is typically the video driver this may help narrow things down

He is having "Description of Original Problem: "The most common problem i see in eventvwr is kernel power 41 error" That points to hardware.

I think that low voltage on high frequencies is problem. That indicates that crash happen only on idle and when CPU is not stressed. Cause can be that motherboard on auto does not feed CPU enough voltage on high frequencies or PSU problem.
Don't have any other idea...

What do you have for a PSU and have you tried default BIOS setting? I would not under volt your GPU or your CPU.

Back