• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumpster Diving

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

How and where do those of you who do this go about doing it? just go to your local computer store after hours and go through their trash? im just curious.

I'm thinking that people check dumpsters to dumpster dive. ;)

I'm also guessing places that tend to throw out computer equipment. What I'm not sure is on the legality of said actions or if we can discuss it here.

I think the rule varies by states and communities. Some area you could get busted for trespassing. But in other area it's encouraged because you're removing things that would have gone to landfill.

There are a lot of dumpster diving here in Michigan, mostly by metal scavengers looking for scrap to sell. They usually drive a run down pickup truck that went 8 rounds in a demo derby, usually stops at auto stores, repairs, and hardware stores to check their dumpsters for metal trash. They also troll neighborhoods in the morning of trash pickup for more scraps. A few of them are known to do some breaking and entering to steal metal, and once in a while they are killed trying to take metal which happened to be live power line. :screwy:

I think the rule varies by states and communities. Some area you could get busted for trespassing. But in other area it's encouraged because you're removing things that would have gone to landfill.

There are a lot of dumpster diving here in Michigan, mostly by metal scavengers looking for scrap to sell. They usually drive a run down pickup truck that went 8 rounds in a demo derby, usually stops at auto stores, repairs, and hardware stores to check their dumpsters for metal trash. They also troll neighborhoods in the morning of trash pickup for more scraps. A few of them are known to do some breaking and entering to steal metal, and once in a while they are killed trying to take metal which happened to be live power line. :screwy:

Even moreso when the city has it's annual cleaning/throw whatever on the curb deal. I see truck after truck drive around. :rolleyes:

I have gone dumpster diving more then once over the years at various jobs.

Here is how I do it. I work in Office park 123. We have community dumpsters. I check random dumpsters and make "friends" with building management. A few weeks ago, I pulled out of a dumpster a PC that had a bad PSU fan. The rest of the system was ok but the force with which it was deposited into the dumpster broke welds on the case. I stripped what was useable and then once I got home looked at the HDD.

Unencrypted check
Unwiped check
OS and all files check
I proceeded to pull serials for XP, office 2k3 and I COULD have pulled files which would render the owning company seriously liable for damages (bank statements, Insurance statements, .pst and ost, etc), After a few days of mulling over what to do, talking to my boss and the CIO of my company, as well as the FSO on site, I wiped the data completely. I COULD have simply taken the drive back to that company and made it very clear that their IT folks need a few lessons, as well as letting their customers know (yeah I could go higher up the chain and report them for a data breach, but other then me no one else outside of the company had any eyes on that data and I DID NOT want to start that kind of scrutiny of my life)...

Last week, I pulled a video server (6-11k USD when new) that I havent checked as well as a functional but needing service UPS (135.00 USD will net me a 500.00 USD APC UPS). The video server is going to be checked via google for available drivers for parts and if none are available, I will recycle all useable parts elsewhere. The case will work GREAT for a HTPC case (black, receiver size and dimensions) if all else fails.

Check your local laws. Many states have changed the rules, it used to be that once an item was in the dumpster, it was considered trash and fair game. Trash companies, local gov'ts, etc are changing the laws because they know that they can scrape the dumpsters and pull $$ back out of them.

The best dumpster diving is in towns with lots of Colleges/Unis. when they go home for summer they throw out a lot of good and exspensive items.

PS: im from Boston Ma and i know this from experiance

i know this is technically not dumpster diving, but over here my dad just goes down to I.T offices at his work and if hes lucky they give him old pcs, but only ever things like celly D's and p4's.

Little bit o' necro for my "new" 4u case...

No idea on who makes it though so the missing lid will have to be a homebrew manufacture.

Looks like it might be an older Norco case but I am not sure. Front mounted redundant ATX psu (short 1u's) that may be bad and were only 300w. MB was junk (ancient 478 and low end) but I can easily fit in a new bracket for a standard ATX PSU and the lid will only be seen when it is out of the rack.

So far this year that makes 2 cases, a UPS, a bunch of parts, and all for the cost of a dumpster check.

Little bit o' necro for my "new" 4u case...

No idea on who makes it though so the missing lid will have to be a homebrew manufacture.

Looks like it might be an older Norco case but I am not sure. Front mounted redundant ATX psu (short 1u's) that may be bad and were only 300w. MB was junk (ancient 478 and low end) but I can easily fit in a new bracket for a standard ATX PSU and the lid will only be seen when it is out of the rack.

So far this year that makes 2 cases, a UPS, a bunch of parts, and all for the cost of a dumpster check.

Dragon, some advice:

When you're in the dumpster and you hear a big truck coming, get out! :rofl:

One of my folding buddy's just picked a AMD 3800+ out of the dumpster. He tossed some ram in it, a fresh HD/Windows install and she is running like a champ.

Now if we could just find some i7's in the trash we would be all set :D

I need to find the trash you guys do.. there used to be a garage around here that would take pcs off companies to strip then and they'd throw out tons of stuff they couldnt melt etc.. they sadly moved away =(

The best dumpster diving is in towns with lots of Colleges/Unis. when they go home for summer they throw out a lot of good and exspensive items.

PS: im from Boston Ma and i know this from experiance

nice i'm going to keep this in mind for the summer time. never thought of colleges for something like this.

Back