• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum Storage on Optical Media?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm curious. What's the maximum amount of data (be it video clips, music etc) that one can store on optical media now.

I read that Blue Ray, if done with multilayers can go to 100-200 gigs/disc. Is this true, or is it still theory and out of the reach of the enthusiast consumer?

If not, is it practical to do?

I ask because, while external hard drives are great to store data. A hard drive can crash. I don't want to buy a backup drive, just to back up 1TB of data.

Lastly, I have Lite On products, last I knew Plextor was also as good. Is this still the case, or are there a few more makers out there that consistently produce better DVD RW's or BluRay burners too?

Thanks in advance.

There is a comparison of high definition optical disc formats on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

However, optical media is not fool proof. It has points of failure just like a hard drive; decay, low-quality media, etc etc. Even archival quality optical media won't guarantee a backup.

Best solution, IMO? The "3" backup rule. If it's not in three spots, it doesn't exist. One on your computer, one on external media (HD, optical, whatever) and one off-site (like online storage).

As for the manufactures of optical media, I couldn't advise you. Not really a fan, personally. ;)

Take care,
-JT

(like online storage).

-JT

That becomes very slow or expensive if you have a data cap.

Buy an external HD and have your data backed up onto 2 HDs. It's a lot cheaper and easier than using optical media.

That becomes very slow or expensive if you have a data cap.
That greatly depends on what (backup) service you go with, and how much of your data changes. JungleDisk, for example, uses block-level backup. So if your 1GB file changes by 10MB, you only upload 10MB not 1GB.
Once a backup of your data is established, the uploaded data is usually very small. Depending on available options, and backup size, the initial backup could be difficult to obtain.
Note: some backup providers offer the option to mail-in a HD for a small fee, so you can easily establish your initial backup. ;)

Buy an external HD and have your data backed up onto 2 HDs. It's a lot cheaper and easier than using optical media.
Hurricane? Fire? Flood? Theft? Earthquake? Tornado? Hate to sound drastic here, but regardless of how many external drives are used, they are all useless if something happens to your home.

That greatly depends on what (backup) service you go with, and how much of your data changes. JungleDisk, for example, uses block-level backup. So if your 1GB file changes by 10MB, you only upload 10MB not 1GB.
Once a backup of your data is established, the uploaded data is usually very small. Depending on available options, and backup size, the initial backup could be difficult to obtain.
Note: some backup providers offer the option to mail-in a HD for a small fee, so you can easily establish your initial backup. ;)

Hurricane? Fire? Flood? Theft? Earthquake? Tornado? Hate to sound drastic here, but regardless of how many external drives are used, they are all useless if something happens to your home.

If your ISP has a data cap then it still becomes very expensive regardless of what online backup service is used. An external HD can be put in a waterproof bag if you're that worried. A hurricane will still blow away optical discs.

I'm NOT going to use a company for an on line backup ever. I don't trust a company's security with my data, OR the government snooping around. I understand nothing is fool proof. But I'd like to think a DVD or something similar is more stable than a hard drive with a moving parts.
Don't get me wrong. I keep multiple backup, more than 3. But I feel having so many hard drives is a pain.

I wonder how stable flash drives are.

If your ISP has a data cap then it still becomes very expensive regardless of what online backup service is used. An external HD can be put in a waterproof bag if you're that worried. A hurricane will still blow away optical discs.
Going back to my previous post, this depends on the service used and the amount of data that is changed. There are too many variables to ascertain your conclusion. The hurricane is one of many examples of what could happen in regards to physically stored media.

I'm NOT going to use a company for an on line backup ever. I don't trust a company's security with my data, OR the government snooping around.
I don't trust a company either, which is why I recommend a solution that encrypts the data before it's sent to the server. Even if "the government" or whoever obtained the data, it would be useless without my encryption key.

Id rather have online than anything else. I wouldnt be worried about the 'government snooping' around there or security with your data if its a reputable company... seriously...thats tinfoil hat paranoia to me (sorry).

LTO5 is a Enterprise level solution. Drives are a few k in themselves, tapes are well over $100 ea. I know that wasnt a serious solution but...

Best bet is have it in multiple places. Your original location, another HDD for backups, and some optical media. Bluray is the most dense you can get that is readily available. I would also encourage you to try online storage and take the tin foil hat off. :p

take the tin foil hat off. :p

It isn't tinfoil hat thinking at all. That's only for aliens :bday: The government is plugged into every major communications pipeline. Everything is automatically scanned, flagged and looked over later (if they have the personal) by a person. It isn't what they will see, it's a matter of principle.

I guess BluRay it is.

Thanks guys!

Back