• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120 fps on shooters on tvs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amnios

can someone answer a simple question...

my computer monitor is limited to 60hz or 60 fps.. I am tv shopping right now and posting from the store... can I buy a tv that gives my PC games over 60 fps?

I have tri SLI and should be able to push close to 100 fps or more depending on the game.

can modern consumer tvs provide me with this ability... they say 120hz but that does not mean I will get 120 fps right?

Please if you know about this let me know... I want to buy a tv today.

Sort of.

From my understanding, most TV's will take a normal signal and upconvert it to a higher speed. That doesn't necessarily mean it will take a 120hz input, but there is a chance it might. You'd have to check with the individual unit to know for sure.

Sort of.

From my understanding, most TV's will take a normal signal and upconvert it to a higher speed. That doesn't necessarily mean it will take a 120hz input, but there is a chance it might. You'd have to check with the individual unit to know for sure.

yup, unless the tv is 3d ready there is NO way your going to be able to input more than 1080p 60hz.

I read that 120hz tv's cause a lot of input lag. If you want true 120hz, get one of those 3d ready monitors.

depending on the tv the 120hz+ frame interpolation can cause a decent amount of input lag, as well as 100% of the time causing artifacts, stupid nasty artifacts.... really anything thats 120hz+ smoothing or blady blah is a marketing gimmick. ALL types of video that you can input to the tv (minus say a pc game) all has motion blur already built into the content... its not ment to be smoothed out any more.

that being said the only tvs that will accept a 120+hz signal is a 3d tv, and then your going to need a gfx card with an HDMI 1.4 spec port to provide the proper bandwidth.

I'm not aware of any TVs that will accept a true 120hz input. Even the 3d ones don't work the same as true 120hz monitors, they use a scheme called frame packing to send both left and right frames at once.

Most 120/240/480/etc hz TVs will only accept a normal 60hz signal and either display the same signal for two refresh cycles or use interpolation to add their own idea of what the in between frame would be.

If you want over 60hz, you need a true 120hz monitor, which limits you to 23.6" for now. 27" models are coming "real soon" but they've been at that stage for over a year now.

I'm not aware of any TVs that will accept a true 120hz input. Even the 3d ones don't work the same as true 120hz monitors, they use a scheme called frame packing to send both left and right frames at once.

Most 120/240/480/etc hz TVs will only accept a normal 60hz signal and either display the same signal for two refresh cycles or use interpolation to add their own idea of what the in between frame would be.

If you want over 60hz, you need a true 120hz monitor, which limits you to 23.6" for now. 27" models are coming "real soon" but they've been at that stage for over a year now.

ya i would check out the tv manuals (available online) for the vesa inputs the tv accepts... every manual has a vesa resolution chart.

If you're looking at 120Hz TVs, make sure they have an option to use 60Hz mode for gaming, and even better yet a "gaming mode" that turns off all post processing. The upconversion from 60Hz to 120Hz and any other processing causes input lag as mentioned. The other option is to just get a Plasma and not worry about all this Hz business.

If you're looking at 120Hz TVs, make sure they have an option to use 60Hz mode for gaming, and even better yet a "gaming mode" that turns off all post processing. The upconversion from 60Hz to 120Hz and any other processing causes input lag as mentioned. The other option is to just get a Plasma and not worry about all this Hz business.

plasmas have hz (refresh rates) just like lcds... this is a common misnomer than hz doesnt matter on a plasma.

ok well I bought a tv...

the Samsung pn58c7000

please let me know what you think about this tv... I can always exchange it. Hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Paid $2050 + tax Canadian. Came with the shrek 3d Blueray boxset with 2 wireless glasses. Came with also a Blueray player, the Samsung BD-c5900. Also came with this tv stand...

http://www.z-lineracing.com/product/150-Zen-Lite-TV-Stand-with-Integrated-Mount

I dunno good deal? Good tv for watching tv and pc gaming? Could I have better spent $2000?

Samsung (generally) makes a good TV, and you didn't overpay. No need for remorse, if that's what you're asking.

I get it delivered in one week.

I'm slightly concerned about reports of buzzing so will have to wait and see on that.

Reviews generally agree picture is great however it does not support 1080P/24 which I'm not sure if that's really important to me or not. I'm guessing not because I'm not a big movie fan per say. I just want to watch tv and hook it up to the pc once in awhile.

I get it delivered in one week.

I'm slightly concerned about reports of buzzing so will have to wait and see on that.

Reviews generally agree picture is great however it does not support 1080P/24 which I'm not sure if that's really important to me or not. I'm guessing not because I'm not a big movie fan per say. I just want to watch tv and hook it up to the pc once in awhile.

I sold my 280 and 3d Vision setup a while ago, so I'm a little out of the loop. Did they release an update for those cards that lets you run 3d on a HDMI 1.4 TV? Or did you just buy a 3d TV for blurays etc?

Right. I just meant plasmas don't have all the hz marketing and are generally better for fast motion.

.... plasmas have just as much of hz war marketing going on... 600hz infinity black pannel pro, etc etc.

also the whole motion thing, is null and void now adays as lcd screens that can refresh at 120 or 240hz have to have response times low enough now that u really cant tell the difference.

Also OP 1080P 24P, is very nice to have, as thats what EVERY 2D blurray is produced in... 1920x1080@24hz... thats the only nice thing about 120 or 240hz is that 24 / 30 / 60hz can be divided evenly into 120 and 240hz.... if you try and play a 24hz source on a 60hz screen you have to do 3:2 pulldown.

Edit, i found the manual for your tv... attached is the resolution chart, these are all the resolutions and respective refresh rates the tv can work with... its highly improbable that any other resolution / refresh rate will work if its not laid out in the chart... but it puzzles me why they wouldnt have 1080 24p support.

Attachments

• resolutions.jpg
    resolutions.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Actually thanks RATBUDDY.

I just googled NVdia 3d on tvs and your right.. 260 drivers support 3d gaming on tvs now... my TV is supported... it makes me almost certain now that I bought the right tv. And the best thing I think is I use the manufacturers glasses for my 3D PC gaming not the Nvidia ones. I'm now thinking $2000 for all I got is a great deal... ANy thoughts?

But honestly I was going into the store to buy the 60" LCD Aquos with either 120 or 240 hz for either $1499 or $1999 respectively... and was "SOLD" I guess by the salesman the 3d Plasma.

I spent all day looking at tvs before talking to the salesman... and found that the motion on Plasma tvs seemed better generally... though the 60" 240 hz Aquos did look good for the same money. So at a certain point I was willing to listen to salesman talk about plasmas... he then mentioned this great deal on a 3D tv.

I figured that the TV I got would be a better gaming tv than the Aquos based on the Plasma thing... hoping someone here can shed some light on that.

And I thought in the back of my mind that maybe 3D tv will be going somewhere. Like I'm betting that true 3D tv Broadcasts(not ones I have to upconvert) are going to hit big in the next year or so with cable providers, etc. Golf looks really cool in 3D I would use the glasses for that for sure... Masters final round back nine.. great 3D action! LOL. Superbowl broadcasted in true 3D looks great too, etc. Truth is I am buying a TV, my computer gaming aside... I should buy the best overall TV TV you know? I like my 25" 1920 x 1200 computer monitor its good enough for now.... so having the 3D tv now gives me all the latest "TV" standards so my TV watching should be taken care of.

Time will tell but I get the TV delivered in a week so here Iam doing research AFTER i purchased... I still can reverse the purchase if I had to.

Again hoping to get some opinions here from you guys on TV's. There are some big spenders on this site for sure and many of you have as good or better pc's than me anyway.

Last edited:
The only problem I see with 3dtv's now is soon they will be 3d with passive glasses and even glasses free tv. Would that cause a problem with the different formats or will they somehow all be the same.

The only problem I see with 3dtv's now is soon they will be 3d with passive glasses and even glasses free tv. Would that cause a problem with the different formats or will they somehow all be the same.

It won't cause any problems. Thats just a detail in how the display works. Its like the difference between LCD and Plasma, it doesn't affect anything aside from the final display qualities.

Both TV's would probably be good, I think bewtween the two options you are looking at comes down to personal choice, the difference would be very small.

I just upgraded my 42" 60Hz Aquos for a 50" 600Hz LG plasma (both 1080p) and they both worked great, I would have no issues using either one if I had to do it over again. (both used only as a PC monitor, used the 42" upstairs now so I had an excuse to get a new monitor on boxing day ;) )

Like it was said before, get any decent 1080p 120/240/600 Hz TV from a good brand and it will work fine. 3D would follow the same idea, just another option if you so choose :thup:

Now just clear a spot and get ready for big screen gaming goodness :attn:

boy i've learned a lot in the last few days about 3d pc gaming... over on the Nvidia website forum.

Back