• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What GPU setup to choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

So I'm gonna be upgrading to an i7/12GB DDR3 Tri-Channel/Skt1366 setup once tax time rolls around.

Was going to give my hand-me-downs to my GF (She's driving me insane)

Sooo I was going to give her my GTX285 and then get something new for me but heres my problem:

1.) I haven't been paying attention to Video Cards lately, apparently Nvidia is up to the GTX500 series now which are $500+ For a GTX580 (Which I assume is like my GTX285, I dunno)

So would it be better to get a couple of GTX560's and slap them into SLI (I understand the X58 chipsets can do SLI and Xfire now) or is there something else I'm missing?

I've also heard from some friends of mine that doing the ATI 5770's in Xfire works pretty well too as long as you get XFX.

Thoughts?

For a single card, i would go for 580... the only card on the market that beats it in raw power is the 5970

or...

You can get the 6950, do a bios flash to make it up to a 6970... couple of them would be killer...

Yeah the only problem is the painful pricetag, the way I'm looking at it right now every single game I play runs at a constant 60FPS with the settings cranked up.

Hell I don't even need to upgrade to an i7 setup but she wants her own computer.

I wonder if I should just buy a GTX460 and put it in her machine, they're like $180 right now *shrug*

What do you use your computer for? If it's gaming, I'd go SB with a 2600K. Saves money and is purty quick. Might even get it on 5.0 GHz on air. With the money saved, go for a 580 SC. Adjust the model number down depending on budget.

I would go with the 570, it's pretty well balanced and a single card will be able to hold its own for the next year or two, especially if it's overclocked. Then when you start needing more power, add another 570 for half the price later. My 470 is still running every game I own maxed out (including Crysis Warhead) at 1920x1080.

Sweet! I didn't know the Sandy 32nm's were out.

Although all these Skt1155 mobo's are Dual Channel...I don't know how big a difference there is between Dual and Tri :(

Sweet! I didn't know the Sandy 32nm's were out.

Although all these Skt1155 mobo's are Dual Channel...I don't know how big a difference there is between Dual and Tri :(

Negligible. I don't even think that tri-channel even makes too much of a difference in synthetic benchmarks, if at all.

So why does it exist? Just marketing gimmick to charge higher price tag?

I'm seeing reviews all over newegg that the Sandy's have physical limitations placed by Intel that prevent them from going above a certain threshold (like a cap of 3.99Ghz on the i5)

Can anyone validate this???

I'm seeing reviews all over newegg that the Sandy's have physical limitations placed by Intel that prevent them from going above a certain threshold (like a cap of 3.99Ghz on the i5)

Can anyone validate this???

The new chips are completely locked at 100MHz and their respected multiplier... you have to buy a K chip e.g a 2600K to be able to OC it as it has the unlocked multiplier... but the clock is locked at 100MHz

Umm have you any of you guys noticed that the LGA1155 Mobos and CPUs have been deactivated on NewEgg? I had a nice little shopping cart going and now its all gone.

Dubya Tee Eff?

Back