• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked - please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QualityFirst

System is built and working...sort of.

AMD Athlon X2 5000 AD50000DJ22GI
Asus M4A785-M
GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R
Windows 7 Ultimate

I have a strange issue that I am unsure to whether this is common or not. I overclock the system. The X2 5000 turns into a Phenom FX-5000 with 4 cores. The problem is the system will only stay at the higher FSB for a minute or more and then the CPU voltage and CPU speed drop dramatically.

For example, I raised the CPU voltage to 1.2v and the FSB to 250. I was then running faster than the stock 2.2 GHz. I believe it was somewhere around 2.7 GHz. I log into windows and start CPU-z and it reads this for about one minute and then the voltage changes to ~1.09 at the same time the CPU speed drops to around 1 GHz.

The CPU still reads as the Phenom FX-5000 and with four cores but it won’t stay overclocked. The bios does not error out when I reset and the OC values return for that first minute after the rest and then disappear.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks

Moved to the AMD CPUs forum for you... redduc900

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be a PSU issue, or your HSF may not be seated properly; please post your system specs in your signature, including PSU specs in order that we may better assist you.

Also, you may wish to request that a mod move this to the CPU section. You'll likely get a better response there.

I will update my profile soon. Thanks for the response. I found the issue to be AMD cool 'n' quiet. I turned it off and no more issues. Except that I cannot read cpu temp after I unlocked the cpu. I have it holding at a conservative 2.750 until I know what it is actually running at.

It just sounds like Cool N' Quiet is doing it's job, reducing the voltage and speed in order to save power and keep things cool. Run Prime95 and it should stop happening.

Back