• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back in the Fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowman2oo7

Registered
Well I've been away for a while real life issues. I've decided to get back in to folding. Currently i'm running the hardware listed in my sig but have a few more rigs I can fire up just looking for the best way to do that.

My main rig is currently running Gentoo Linux so no GPU folding at the moment but i'm concidering moving it to windows 7. The question I have for this machine is would it be better to run the Windows SMP client or run the Linux SMP client in a VM.

The other machines I have are:
Zeus - C2D E6600 @ 3.2GHz|Nvidia GTS250 - Would setup the same as Olympis
Shadow - C2D T7200 @ 2.0GHz - Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop
Wife's PC - Core i3 @ 1.83GHz - Toshiba Laptop
Kid's PC - Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 2.6GHz

Would like to know the best way to set these up or if they are worth the trouble.

Well, I wouldn't recommend folding on the laptops. You'll shorten their lifespan.

The GTS250 will net you more PPD than the C2D 6600, I believe.

Welcome back Shadow! :)

:welcome:

To answer your question, you would probably net more PPD by avoiding the VM route. Unless you're getting a big bonus, like -bigadv, then you'll lose PPD due to the VM overhead. I'd also avoid folding on the laptops unless you have really good cooling, like an aftermarket stand with a fan or something. Otherwise, the constant heat will shorten the life of the laptop, as madhatter mentioned.

Actually the Linux client is currently enough faster than the Windows client to out produce it even in a VM. I have several SMP instances running in VMs. A bit more PITA than running the 6.30 Windows client as a service though.

Welcome back :)

I've been folding heavily on my laptop recently, although I make sure it's propped up to allow some airflow round it.

Yeah I'm just getting my boxen up and running. I have the GPU Client currently running on Olympis, Radeon HD5770. Working on getting the CPU Client running in a VM at the moment. Zeus is next need to dust it off been sitting for a couple of months but will soon be crunching away. Planning on making it a backup/file server for Olympis and the laptops.

I do have a question though would it be worth it to fold -bigadv on my Phenom II X4 970 or just regular SMP units?

I do plan on overclocking it but want to get everything running stable before I do.

Whether you set the -bigadv flag or not i don't think stanford's assignment servers will give you one unless they see eight cores, real or not......

:welcome: back :beer:

Back