• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checklist for returning to the fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
It's been a few years but I'm ready to resume the fold. I have a 1080ti sitting in my Asrock x79 | Xeon E2650 rig. Clean installed driver version:442.19, in Windows 10. This machine dual boots, so if Linux GPU folding is best I'll set that up as well. I have fah client v7.6.21 downloaded and ready to install. I do have my users key from back in the day, and am shortly goinjg to find the latest download for Harlam's monitoring app.

LMK if anything's wrong or missing! ;)

Your missing my folding name and passkey :rofl: JK
Let us know what your folding name is so we can see your POWER!!! :)

I think we have some articles that should get you started? I vaguely recall the team updating them but not sure on the progress there.

Do not think the CUDA version in the older nvidia drivers is supported by the current FAH gpu core22 v20, which will fall back to the slower OpenCL. Best to install the most recent driver from nvidia site. Most of my linux hosts are currently using nvidia 510.54. Still have a few linux hosts on nvidia driver 470.86, which also folds using CUDA.

Linux will be more productive folding than Windows on all but the large atom count projects, which will be similar. The small atom count projects will be much more productive on linux.

Thanks @HayesK , looks like I have some studying to do, am not current with either graphics driver or FAH client matters. My Linux dual boot on this machine is Endeavouros, a Arch-Linux derivative. Fortunately Endeavouros has an excellent wiki for all major needs.

I'm amazed with the massive production capabilities of modern GPUs, just in the past 16 hours I've accumulated 475,165 points, just 36,000 shy of the number of points I had after 3 years of production, prior to joining Team 32 in 2005.

Q: I'm using the browser based Web Control client, is that what everyone's using? It's drop-dead easy set up, but doesn't have the configuration features of previous fah client apps.

Q: Also, the GPU temps are running mid to upper 70s C. , with 'hotspots' in the upper 80s...is that typical? CPUZ reports fan speed @75%, I installed SpeedFan hoping to adjust fans to 90%, but the app crashed.

Q: I'm using the browser based Web Control client, is that what everyone's using? It's drop-dead easy set up, but doesn't have the configuration features of previous fah client apps.

Q: Also, the GPU temps are running mid to upper 70s C. , with 'hotspots' in the upper 80s...is that typical? CPUZ reports fan speed @75%, I installed SpeedFan hoping to adjust fans to 90%, but the app crashed.

To configure and montior, I right click on the taskbar icon and select "Advanced Control". On the top 3 tabs, you can select Configure and modify your slot.

For fans, I use Afterburner to keep mine at about 85-90% depending on the card (I think your card will be fine at 85%. You can also use EVGA's control software (X I think it is called).

I use PrecisionX OC for my EVGA 1080 cards. The Precision X1 I use on my 2080 and 3080 cards. I set a fan curve so that when the GPU gets to 45c the fans are at 100%.
You can still get PrecisionX OC but you will have to log in to EVGA and search for it. The X1 version will work as well.

Last edited:
I use PrecisionX OC for my EVGA 1080 cards. The Precision X1 I use on my 2080 and 3080 cards. I set a fan curve so that when the GPU gets to 45c the fans are at 100%.
You can still get PrecisionX OC but you will have to log in to EVGA and search for it. The X1 version will work as well.
Precision X1 is working well for fan speed for the 1080ti. I had tried MSIafterburner but the slider for fan speed was not functional.
To configure and montior, I right click on the taskbar icon and select "Advanced Control". On the top 3 tabs, you can select Configure and modify your slot.
I installed fah-installer_7.6.21_x86 but all I have is a browser based app Web Control, which doesn't have taskbar or icons, except to "share" via email, Facebook or twitter. I was kind of expecting to have FAHControl, which I gather is now called Advanced Control, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. :unsure:

I installed fah-installer_7.6.21_x86 but all I have is a browser based app Web Control, which doesn't have taskbar or icons, except to "share" via email, Facebook or twitter. I was kind of expecting to have FAHControl, which I gather is now called Advanced Control, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. :unsure:

This is what I was talking about. Windows 10, same area that shows the unplug USB icon.

icon1.jpg

You can also get there from the start menu. In the Folding program group.

icon2.jpg

On the taskbar, on the right side is a ^, click that then click the F@H icon to pull up a menu box and click Advanced Control.

task.jpg

Tim if you can switch to Ubuntu it has the nvidia drivers in it...The drivers are easily available for your distro I am sure.

Great of you to start up again.:cheers:
Dave, sure feels so good to fold, I feel like the old me younger me again. Stanford doesn't only provides a fahclient .deb.or .rpm package for download, but Arch-Linux and it's derivatives can get a client d/l from a GitClone repository.

Last edited:
Back