• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A guide to folding under Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Sydney, great guide btw! I have trouble getting the GPG Key at

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 23DC003A

It responds in a timeout.

Code:
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 23DC003A
gpg: requesting key 23DC003A from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

Any workarounds for this matter?

Hey Sydney, great guide btw! I have trouble getting the GPG Key at

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 23DC003A

It responds in a timeout.

Code:
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 23DC003A
gpg: requesting key 23DC003A from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

Any workarounds for this matter?
That's strange, it's working for me. What happens when you ping the keyserver?
Code:
ping keyserver.ubuntu.com

It is responding correctly.

Code:
PING keyserver.ubuntu.com (91.189.94.173) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from esperanza.canonical.com (91.189.94.173): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=197 ms
64 bytes from esperanza.canonical.com (91.189.94.173): icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=198 ms
64 bytes from esperanza.canonical.com (91.189.94.173): icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=201 ms
64 bytes from esperanza.canonical.com (91.189.94.173): icmp_seq=4 ttl=47 time=199 ms
64 bytes from esperanza.canonical.com (91.189.94.173): icmp_seq=5 ttl=47 time=198 ms

And now it worked. Perhaps they were under maintenance just then. I'll keep configuring, thanks a million!

Hmm, I tried figuring out the slowdown issues on the GPU clients while the CPU client running at 100% with the 2.6.31 kernel in 9.10 with no success. Tried compiling a new kernel with timer frequency at 1000hz as opposed to the default 100hz. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's either the kernel or the driver, since the 180 driver needed patching to get installed, but I don't think that should affect performance.

Seeing as English is not my first language, I was recommended to get some help to improve the grammar and such in the guide so it can be submitted as a frontpage article, is anyone up for it?

Glad to help. Who's the guy to talk to about the style usage they want for the front page ?

Glad to help. Who's the guy to talk to about the style usage they want for the front page ?
PM me your email and I'll send you guide I've written. It's in the right format, the text just needs some adjusment.

Also, I can't get the newest version of HFM working on 9.10 on my laptop. Font isn't working, I don't know whether this is a problem with HFM or a problem with mono under Linux, I'm still investigating.

Also, I can't get the newest version of HFM working on 9.10 on my laptop. Font isn't working, I don't know whether this is a problem with HFM or a problem with mono under Linux, I'm still investigating.

Probably a little of both... using your instructions to install Mono on 9.04, I got v0.4.0 binaries up and running. However, the Queue Viewer is not drawn correctly... and it works fine on the Mono Project's own Development VMWare Image.

So, since there is no 1 Mono package (packages are built for each target distro) it tough to say which is the culprit.

The Queue Viewer drawing is just one thing that exhibits what can happen when one uses the same "version" of the Mono Framework, but not the same "package".

When you get it working (b/c you're a persistent guy - and I just know you will) I'd love to see the instructions. In fact, I'd like to transcribe your current Mono 2.4 & Ubuntu 9.04 instructions into the HFM Google Group. Is that ok with you? You will be credited of course. :)

Alright, so apparently you can now fold with the 195.17 CUDA drivers and 2.3 toolkit in 9.10, but as before, production is awful when the CPU client is running, the GPU client just doesn't get enough CPU time, regardless of nice level, the only way to give it more CPU time is to throttle the CPU threads, but that really affects the CPU clients, because the GPU client isn't threaded at all.

Need some help

Code:
matt@matt-desktop:~$ mono ~/hfm/HFM.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: s
  at System.IO.StringReader..ctor (System.String s) [0x00000] 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StringReader:.ctor (string)
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader..ctor (System.String xmlFragment, XmlNodeType fragType, System.Xml.XmlParserContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReader..ctor (System.String xmlFragment, XmlNodeType fragType, System.Xml.XmlParserContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Xml.XmlDocumentFragment.set_InnerXml (System.String value) [0x00000] 
  at System.Configuration.CustomizableFileSettingsProvider.SaveProperties (System.Configuration.ExeConfigurationFileMap exeMap, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyValueCollection collection, ConfigurationUserLevel level, System.Configuration.SettingsContext context, Boolean checkUserLevel) [0x00000] 
  at System.Configuration.CustomizableFileSettingsProvider.SetPropertyValues (System.Configuration.SettingsContext context, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyValueCollection collection) [0x00000] 
  at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.SetPropertyValues (System.Configuration.SettingsContext context, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyValueCollection values) [0x00000] 
  at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.Save () [0x00000] 
  at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet.UpgradeUserSettings () [0x00000] 
  at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet.Load () [0x00000] 
  at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet..ctor () [0x00000] 
  at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet.get_Instance () [0x00000] 
  at HFM.Forms.frmMain.SetupTraceListeners () [0x00000] 
  at HFM.Forms.frmMain..ctor () [0x00000] 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) HFM.Forms.frmMain:.ctor ()
  at HFM.Program.Main (System.String[] argv) [0x00000]

Also need some help.

I followed the HFM Ubuntu 9.04 (which I am still on) guide and this is what I got.

Code:
zerix01@DeepThought:~$ mono /media/md0/HFM/HFM.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for harlam357.Security.Data ---> System.ArgumentException: Encoding name 'Windows-1252' not supported
Parameter name: name
  at System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding (System.String name) [0x00000]
  at harlam357.Security.Data..cctor () [0x00000]
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet..ctor () [0x00000]
  at HFM.Preferences.PreferenceSet.get_Instance () [0x00000]
  at HFM.Forms.frmMain.SetupTraceListeners () [0x00000]
  at HFM.Forms.frmMain..ctor () [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) HFM.Forms.frmMain:.ctor ()
  at HFM.Program.Main (System.String[] argv) [0x00000]

Back