• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple Clamshell iBooks ????? i think they are g3's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acuradude

ok i have a chance to buy some blue clamshell ibooks. im not an apple man so i really dont know anything about them, the price seems really good but not sure.
similar hardware configurations but some run OS 9.2 and some are loaded with OS X. OS X version 10.4 is running on one of the units with the OS loaded from an external F/W Drive.

so im wondering about how much should they sell for and are they even close to be up to date and running everything today at a decent speed???:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• blue apple laptops.jpg
    blue apple laptops.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 2,054
What's the price? They're good computers, but nothing great. Fine for web browsing, music, etc, but not much more. They're just too limited by CPU power. I'm not even sure how well OS X would run on it TBH...

its eaither 70 for all 4 or 70 a piece the guy didnt clarify which can you watch movies and maybe some light gaming (REAL light gaming)??

If it's $70 a peice, i'd go for the one with OS 9. It should run fine for anything you need. I'm pretty sure it's too slow to run Minecraft or anything like that. SD Youtube would be the upper limit of the chip.

oh and i mean kinda like facebook gaming i dont know what minecraft is.

will it be faster or slower than a p4 2.8 ?? with 512 ram??

Most definitely a lot slower than a P4. These date back to 1999, and have between a 300-466MHz G3 processor and something like 64MB of ram.

wow lol thats slow! also i like ur car i had a 95 eagle talon that i painted lambo orange to looki like the supra off of the first fast and furious lol

under the apple menu is about this mac. 10.4 is tiger which is a usable os if you have 512M or preferably more ram.

I think the original blue ones are the slowest. I wouldn't want to browse the web on one. In 2011 the web is video, flash, jquery etc. A bit like bringing a knife to a gun fight. A G3 was a killer little processor, but I would say a g4 1ghz 1.5 G ram would be closer to able to run everything.

IIRC the screen resolution is 800x600... not usable on todays web.

ok thanks guys you saved me from buying some junk!!!

Junk is a little harsh... were talking about the 1st notebook including wifi, award winning design, no floppy, and OS X, the first unix to really make it to the desktop. Not worth a bunch of money only because there were so many of them but still cool. Run a webserver or shell scripts on one.

If you want a nice old laptop, I'd get a ThinkPad, as long as you don't get one with a bad GPU you'll be happy with it, I use my 2004 one daily.

Ok, maybe I'm a little too late, but here are my 2 cents: if those clamshells are in mint condition you could sell it at about $100+ on eBay depending on what goes with it.

I was considering buying one because I thought it was going to be really cheap and all - after all, they're REALLY old and slow - but I was surprised to see that some Powerbooks can get a little cheaper than the clamshells. And they're more "powerfull" too, some G4 Powerbooks can even run Leopard while on the clamshells you would be lucky to run Panther or something.

Back