• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page file and SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

I heard that disabling pagefile when having an SSD will increase the life of the SSD, is this true?

How do I move the page file to 1 of my magnetic drives instead of on the SSD?

Rig is in Sig.

Thanks.

The impact on the life of an SandForce SSD, which does data compression, from the page file is negligible. Most of the stuff in RAM is uncompressed so it should compress well. And with 12GB of RAM you are almost never using the page file anyways. There is also a performance benefit from having the page file on the SSD. I wouldn't bother moving it.

What you might want to do is shrink the page file. Right-click Computer and select Properties. The on the right select Advanced System Settings. Under the Performance heading select Settings. Then go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual Memory heading select Change. Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives. Then on the C: drive change the page file setting from System managed size to Custom size. Set Initial size to 512 and Maximum size to 12289.

Edit: Mr Alpha typed faster than me :p I wouldn't set max size to 12289MB since it will actually reserve that much space on the disk and being a 120GB drive, you probably don't want to give 10% of the total space to the pagefile.

OCZ suggests keeping a pagefile at a set size (they use 2048MB to 2048MB as example) and leaving it on the SSD. I've run with it disabled completely with no issues but in my most recent install I set it at 2048MB fixed like OCZ suggests in their "ABCs of SSD" article.

With 12GB of RAM you won't be paging much at all so no reason to move it to a slow access time mechanical drive :)

Either way, to move or play with various settings:
Go into Control Panel (Window key + Pause/Break is shortcut) and on the left pane there will be "Advanced System Settings"

Click on the Advanced tab, click Performance then Settings. Then in Advanced tab again click Change...

There you can manage where the pagefile is, how large it is and all that fun stuff.

I keep getting a "page fault in nonpaged area" blue screen.

is this something to do with the paging file?

Last edited:
in one of the BSOD it said ntfs.sys, in another it said video memory, and in another it said about paging error, so i have no clue.

in one of the BSOD it said ntfs.sys, in another it said video memory, and in another it said about paging error, so i have no clue.
Hmm... Doesn't seem to be a specific driver and passes memtest. Next I would suspect the drive. Try running chkdsk and system file checker.

Edit: Mr Alpha typed faster than me :p I wouldn't set max size to 12289MB since it will actually reserve that much space on the disk and being a 120GB drive, you probably don't want to give 10% of the total space to the pagefile.
No, that is not how it works. It will only reserve the Initial size of 512MB. Windows will then grow the page file if it needs more space. Maximum size only means that Windows isn't allowed to grow beyond it. The reason I recommended 12289 MB is that it should be, if I got the math right, just slightly bigger than his RAM. That, in turn, means he can do a full memory dump, which can be useful to troubleshoot BSODs.

Hmm... Doesn't seem to be a specific driver and passes memtest. Next I would suspect the drive. Try running chkdsk and system file checker.

No, that is not how it works. It will only reserve the Initial size of 512MB. Windows will then grow the page file if it needs more space. Maximum size only means that Windows isn't allowed to grow beyond it. The reason I recommended 12289 MB is that it should be, if I got the math right, just slightly bigger than his RAM. That, in turn, means he can do a full memory dump, which can be useful to troubleshoot BSODs.

how do i run system file checker? chkdsk returned no errors.

I just set mine from 2048 - 4096MB and pagefile.sys is 4GB :shrug:

You did restart, right?

Yup. Previously I had it set as 2048-2048MB but I was just curious so I doubled the max size and pagefile.sys doubled in size as well.

Not a big deal, just figured I'd test it. Back to 2048-2048 though since I don't have any reason to use more.

Yup. Previously I had it set as 2048-2048MB but I was just curious so I doubled the max size and pagefile.sys doubled in size as well.

Not a big deal, just figured I'd test it. Back to 2048-2048 though since I don't have any reason to use more.
You know, that means Windows was actually growing your page file. What is your peak commit?

You know, that means Windows was actually growing your page file. What is your peak commit?

Not at home but I don't see how or why it would be doing that. 8GB usually shows 12% used with no pagefile at normal desktop idle. My Windows 7 is pretty cut down with RT 7 Lite which might have something to do with it, might've disabled or removed some service or feature.

I'll probably just disable it again as I ran for a year disabled with no issues.

Yes, but the question is one of Virtual Memory. Windows needs pagefile in order to promise processes that there is memory available because Windows won't give promises to more memory than it has. This doesn't mean it actually gets used.

So the question is how high the commit is (how much memory Windows has promised to make available if there is demand). You commit limit is RAM+pagefile. Typically you want you page file to be big enough that RAM + pagefile is a bit bigger than you commit limit (the most Windows needs to commit to).

So what you want is a measurement based on your max multitasking scenario. Put in a big pagefile for testing purposes, start everything you might have running when you really get multitasking, open whatever documents you would have open, and the look at how high you commit peaked at. Easiest way to find the peak commit is with Process Explorer, under View/System Information. In the memory tab there is a heading called Commit Charge (K). Under it is a number for Peak.

Based on this you can judge the needed pagefile size.

Back