• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Grease (PK-1) included with Megahalems: best way to spread?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

Just about to start assembling my rig, as I received my P8P76 PRO today :p
I have a Megahalems, and the manual says to spread the grease on the heatsink and the CPU, so a bit different from what I'm used to with AS5.
Anybody with a Megalahems that experimented different methods vs.the recomemended one with different results?
What amount did you put...I imagine a very thin layer on both?
Thanks!
G

I just got one too. I used as5 I had on hand though. I put a blob in the middle and let it spread in compression. Noticed a 10c drop over a xigmatek balder. I dont think there is a big difference between the thin bead and the center blob. I have heard that spreading it can result in air pockets that cause localized hot spots. Never experienced it myself, but it makes sense.

illustrated on this video

Ethan

that was a very interesting ,, i did the small pea size with Arctic Alumina, Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic Thermal Compound , by Arctic Silver ,, "my temps went up" 51c, a bust.,, 100% under load prime95

before doing this my temps was 47c under load 100% prime95
my first set up was with Zalman Super Thermal Grease , ZM-STG2 ,,
doing the spread style using a old orginal bent (just right) cooler clamp.
kind of a heavy layer

humm , maybe i will try the spread method with the Arctic Alumina ?

other than playing with paste getting another cooler is my other option ?

I ended up doing what Prolimatech recommends and apply a very thin layer on both the CPU and the heatsink. Temps look great at 28C idle and 65C at max load, with an O/C of 4.5Ghz @ 1.325V.

Back