• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best way to apply Prolimatech PK-1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

I have a 960T CPU and an EVO HSF (CDC) and I would like to know what is the recommended way to apply the Prolimatech PK-1 (1gram BTW) on the CPU and HS and also what method do you apply?

Prolimatech's website FAQ recommends to 'please spread out evenly a thin layer of PK-1 onto the whole CPU and to the whole heatsink base bottom.'

Based on their recommendation I assume the following method is appropriate:
To apply; simply heat the tube by running under hot water from the tap. Wipe it dry.
Get the thinnest plastic bag you can find (freezer bags are ideal), and cover your hand.
Apply a rice-grain size of the warm paste to the centre of the CPU heat spreader. Holding the CPU in one hand, GENTLY rub the paste using a circular motion, across the surface with your index finger (through the plastic bag). Just use VERY light pressure and massage it in until the surface is covered completely.
After rubbing for about 15 seconds, the heat from your finger softens the paste and eventually, it leaves behind a nice thin haze on the heat spreader.
Wait one minute and repeated the process to get a slightly thicker coat and then do the same thing to the bottom of the heat sink.

There are other methods I can try like dot, line or x-method.

It is good advice. They didn't just pick one because it sounded cool. It was tested and they found it works best.

The stuff spreads so easily. Wiping it introduces air bubbles. Just put a bleb in the middle about the size of four long rice grains. The mounting pressure will spread it out.

I don't disagree with any of ya'll. I think I might try both ways, somewhat...

Because i emailed Prolimatech Tech support and they said:

Dear sir,

After checking with our engineers about the spread application method, our engineers suggest to apply PK-1 to evenly a layer which is not thin (vaguely seen).
We've modified our website's FAQ (from a thin layer to a layer).
Since PK-1's thermal conductivity is very good (http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=163&subid=1528#showtab), our engineers suggest to apply a layer on both CPU and heatsink which will have better performance.
If you like, you may apply a thick layer; however, a normal vaguely layer is enough. (thick layer means waste of the thermal compound)

About your question of spread application method may introduce the possibility of air bubbles, our engineers' reply as follows:
We've tried both ways (a dot in the center and spread it on both CPU and Heatsink) and found both ways have similar performance.

Best regards,

Selena Lee
Prolimatech Co.,LTD.
E-mail:*************
Visit our Website at: www.prolimatech.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prolimatech-Co-LTD/143936609425
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Prolimatech

Now I suspect that they prefer the spread application maybe because they want us to buy more of them in the future?? I don't know.

I guess I would try spreading a thin layer on the heatsink and next removing the entire layer but leave a translucent haze that covers the microscopic holes and then applying the dot method on the CPU (or X method to cover more area if I have enough paste remaining.)

Where is Dolk these days? I've not seen him on here for a while now that I think of it.

Back