• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the best way to apply thermal paste to this cpu cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i have a cooler master T$ cooling a QX6850 previously it was cooling an E8500, and using the pea size method didnt work as u can tell from the pic on the bottom. having never owned this type of cooler before whats the best way to apply the TIM to it so that all of the heat[ipes get covered in tim. im using arctic cooling MX-2 below is a stock pic of the cooler as well as what my cooler looks like after removing it to upgrade the cpu

T4.jpg T444444.jpg

I have the same cooler and I just use a pea size drop in the middle of the processor.

as u can see from my pic the tim didnt cover much of the CPU not to mention the QX6850 produces more heat than the 8500 but thanks for the reply

The gaps on the base of the cooler between the heatpipes.

Really thougb, its no different than any other cpu and heatsink. Perhaps use more if you didnt get coverage?

When you pull of the heat sink look at the spread on the CPU, not the heat sink. If the TIM covers the entire CPU you did it correctly if not then you need a little more.

Put normaal amount of thermal compound on the CPU and then spread it yourself with something like plastic square spoon which you get with ice cream, some thermal paste also include a "spoon". With their compound.

I don't have the 212 HS but here is how I apply thermal paste. I would also use this for a 212 if I ever do get a 212 HS.
1 plastic putty knife, 1 toothpick and jar of paste.
DSCN0720_.JPG

use toothpick to get good size dab of paste.
DSCN0721_.JPG

spread paste with putty knife, there will be extra paste on putty knife so you can wipe it off or if there is enough, put back in jar :)
DSCN0722_.JPG

I don't have the 212 HS but here is how I apply thermal paste. I would also use this for a 212 if I ever do get a 212 HS.
1 plastic putty knife, 1 toothpick and jar of paste.
View attachment 195941

use toothpick to get good size dab of paste.
View attachment 195942

spread paste with putty knife, there will be extra paste on putty knife so you can wipe it off or if there is enough, put back in jar :)
View attachment 195943

thanks for the reply ended up doing a pea size in the center of the cpu as well as a smaller pea size on each of the gaps between my heatsinks heat pipes just to be safe

Back