• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying MX4 paste to a QX6700 & 8800GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pkrfan97

Registered
Hello everyone. I'm going to be putting some DD waterblocks on my QX6700 & 2 8800GTXs, and I'm curious how I should apply MX4 thermal paste to them.

From what I've read about the QX6700, the proper method is a roughly 1mm thin line across the cores in the middle (see attached image) & to let the waterblock spread it out. Is that a correct application method for MX4? (I'm asking because that attached illustration is from AS5's website & I'm thinking it's possible that MX4 is different.)

For the 8800GTXs I haven't been able to find solid information.
On the GPU, should I apply a grain-of-rice-sized amount or a pea-sized amount in the middle? Afterward, should I spread it out evenly or let the waterblock do that when I press it on there?

On the 12 memory spots around the GPU I have basically the same questions. Should I apply a small dot in the middle of each or a grain-of-rice-sized amount? Afterward, should I spread it out evenly or let the waterblock do that?

I have also attached an image of the 8800gtx. If anyone would like to take a couple seconds in paint to illustrate the size of the paste I should put on the GPU & 12 memory spots it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• QX6700.PNG
    QX6700.PNG
    100.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 8800GTX.PNG
    8800GTX.PNG
    284.5 KB · Views: 91
The way i do it is like the pics. Works just fine for mine. I had a QX6700 and done it like the pics. DO alittle over a grain of rice on the CPU(Across the cores) and bout a pea size on the GPU, You dont want to much.. and that line method of your first pic. Would prolly be alittle to much.. Witch can insulate instead of transferring the heat. Im not 100% on TIM on the water block(as i dont use WC on my GPU) im sure someone on here would have alittle better answer on the TIM on the RAM chips.. I dont think you should or suppose to put TIM on them.(Could B Wrong tho)

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Back