• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Turpentine use to solve thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm probably going to look pretty dumb, but I do not understand your question.

If you are cleaning it from a processor and heat sink, a coffee filter moistened with rubbing alcohol is the best solution I have thus found.

I use acetone, just be careful with it, it's a tremendously powerful solvent...it also kills the skin on your fingers when you use it lol.

Greasy? Are we talking about the same stuff? You've gotta get the good stuff, not nail polish remover. (it's cheaper pure too)

I use rubbing alcohol all the time.

A couple cotton balls, then some Q-tips to detail and it's ready to go.

I don't know if I would use turpentine or not. HOLY CRAP!

I use a dry paper towel.
Never noticed a cooling performance difference between wiping it all off with a paper towel and going for the whole clean it with solvent routine.

i used 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol this morning melts the grease right off,, no residue to interfere with new paste, or grease,,

i also use q-tips and gun cleaning swabs , some cool tools in my gunslick kit that work well for poking and prodding around.

why is it called rubbing , what are yea gonna rub it on:shrug:

Well, yes, Skinne labs has removals of GPU stock cooling, it has a chip. He cleans it.

It's not that difficult, you kinda just do it. Qtips, drugstore alcohol, paper towel. Clean it till it's clean.

Unless yours is some odd thing going on just try it.

Youtube has a million of them, here I found one for you.

Oh thanks a lot! Now the problem is finding those materials

Last edited:
Lemme see. Alcohol, Qtips. Coffee filter. Good luck. Hard to find in Lybia right now...... Where the heck do you live? Maybe make a sig and what area of the world you live in would help.

Man, 15 20 minutes on the internet would of made this thread non-existant....................

Or 15-20 min searching in this forum......... It took our time plus your's over 12 hours to get this ... LOL solved for you.

Try a intelligent many tries and links for the internet next time. You CAN do it, your smart.

Going to derail for a second. Coffee filters, I tried to use them once and they left little fibers everywhere. My mom gave them to me sometime ago, even though I have an espresso machine :shrug: Is there a particular brand or did I just get the only coffee filters that leave fibers?

Going to derail for a second. Coffee filters, I tried to use them once and they left little fibers everywhere. My mom gave them to me sometime ago, even though I have an espresso machine :shrug: Is there a particular brand or did I just get the only coffee filters that leave fibers?

Find that hard to believe. The reason coffee filters are recommended is exactly the fact they they don't leave "fibers everywhere" like kleenex and paper towels. They are made of a hard, shiny paper - at least the ones I use.

Well, they should be used for last wipes etc. They ain't no 'Bounty picker-upper".

Last swipe.

Ack, even a perfectly cleaned finger with dishsoap, and wiped with alcohol and swiped over the CPU/HS surface once spotless is good. Maybe a brush of sweet air from your loving wife will give the magic best temps ever.

It ain't brain surgery.............

I dunno, we over analizing?:screwy:

Trents - I think I have the only coffee filters that leave little fibers. oh well I just use a glasses cloth to do the final clean.

Conumdrum - Well yes I over analyze everything... but not this time lol :D I did a quick swipe with them and they just left fibers everywhere. I'd have better luck with toilet paper. Gotta break out the magnifying glass when putting on TIM, cause you never know ;)

Well, they should be used for last wipes etc. They ain't no 'Bounty picker-upper".

Last swipe.

Ack, even a perfectly cleaned finger with dishsoap, and wiped with alcohol and swiped over the CPU/HS surface once spotless is good. Maybe a brush of sweet air from your loving wife will give the magic best temps ever.

It ain't brain surgery.............

I dunno, we over analizing?:screwy:

yea you think ? over anal -lizing :clap:

hey just use baby wipes :comp:

Last edited:
Back