• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Computer Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Plazzed

Normally I wouldn't ask for help for a build, but this one I just want to make sure if everything will work fine and be compatible. (see below)

neweggcomshoppingcartf.png

8gb is because I do streams of gaming/movies fairly often (already considering to bump up to an i7)

750w is for another 560ti down the line.

Motherboard is for SLI + Revodrive. Was considering the ASUS MIVE, due to the PCI-E 2.0 placement being superior to the UD7, but it's out of stock on Newegg as of now, and none of the reputable places I can name offhand have one in stock (for a decent price, at least).

Will be bringing some of my old HDDs over, the 2tb is just for expanded space.

Any suggestions/comments?

Looks all good to me. You could go with a cheaper cooler, since Sandy Bridge runs pretty cool. A Hyper212+ should be able to get you to 5 GHz. But the NH-D14 is the best of the best

Looks all good to me. You could go with a cheaper cooler, since Sandy Bridge runs pretty cool. A Hyper212+ should be able to get you to 5 GHz. But the NH-D14 is the best of the best

Even though the D14 looks like a mountain of metal, I've used it before, and it's amazing. Worth the $ to me.

There's just no point though. The thermal dissipation on a D14 is enough for a Gulftown or Bloomfield. They run way hotter than Sandybridge. It's overkill.

Having said that, go for it :p

There's just no point though. The thermal dissipation on a D14 is enough for a Gulftown or Bloomfield. They run way hotter than Sandybridge. It's overkill.

Having said that, go for it :p

I'm fine with overkill. I just feel better knowing my CPU runs at 20-25c as opposed to 30~ (idle).

I'm opposed to overkill for things like RAM/GPU. I play BFBC2 mainly, and will be switching to BF3 at launch, and those are two VERY beefy games.

I've had a few friends want to have 16gb RAM in their system when the most played game they have is WoW.

Thanks for your feedback, though. Any more is appreciated. Haven't had anyone point out a glaring flaw yet, so that's good. Still considering going w/an ASUS MIVE if they restock. It's PCI-E 2.0 configuration would let me use SLI and have my Revodrive placed behind my 2nd 560, as opposed to directly in front.

I'm fine with overkill. I just feel better knowing my CPU runs at 20-25c as opposed to 30~ (idle).

I'm opposed to overkill for things like RAM/GPU. I play BFBC2 mainly, and will be switching to BF3 at launch, and those are two VERY beefy games.

BC2 isn't beefy at all. It's quite undemanding in the grand spectrum of things current. Crysis yanks much harder on your rig's chain than BC2.

Back