• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just switched to Linux Bigadv in VMWare ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbohans

Nassstyyyy,, I love it!

Went from this in windows,

Code:
Project ID: 2684
 Core: GRO-A5
 Credit: 8955
 Frames: 100

Name: SMP
 Path: C:\Users\hans\Desktop\F@H\FAH_GPU_Tracker_V2\FAH GPU Tracker V2\SMP\
 Number of Frames Observed: 234

Min. Time / Frame : 00:35:35 - 29,014.6 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:37:05 - 27,272.1 PPD

to this in a Ubuntu VM

Code:
 Project ID: 2685
 Core: GRO-A5
 Credit: 8955
 Frames: 100

Name: Linux SMP
 Path: /
 Number of Frames Observed: 12

Min. Time / Frame : 00:25:34 - 47,640.4 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:27:58 - 41,641.5 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:25:46 - 46,757.5 PPD
 R3F. Time / Frame : 00:25:42 - 46,931.5 PPD
 All  Time / Frame : 00:27:58 - 41,567.0 PPD
 Eff. Time / Frame : 00:28:48 - 39,847.1 PPD

Cant wait till it finishes one!

Does your set up lag Windows at all? I tried the same thing with virtualbox and ubuntu 10.10 and it slows down the host OS quite a bit >_> So I ended up switching back to the Windows client for bigadv :cry:

Different WUs Hans. One of the best compared to the worst. Bigadv in Linux in a VM provides about a 12% improvement in TPF over Windows bigadv on the same WU. That translates to about a 19% improvement in ppd.

I'm not seeing any lag at all. You have to enter priority.ungrabbed = "idle" in the .vmx (configuration) file and leave the window minimized (ungrabbed). When the VM is grabbed, it runs at normal priority and will affect performance.

I'm not seeing any lag at all. You have to enter priority.ungrabbed = "idle" in the .vmx (configuration) file and leave the window minimized (ungrabbed). When the VM is grabbed, it runs at normal priority and will affect performance.

I'll try that after I finish the WU I'm doing on Windows. Thanks for the tip! :thup:

One quick question for you guys, how much RAM are you guys allocating to the virtual machine?

I have not noticed any lag so far at all. Vmware tools is installed on my guest though, not sure if that makes a difference to the grabbing.

Be nice if I had two comparable WU's though, I just thought those might be close :beer:

and yea 2100mb is all mine is set at. and I just monitor it in the host via ftp with HFM and the network set to briged so it gets its own ip from my router.

Just gave this a try but could not get a -bigadv WU in Linux. Will try again in a couple of days when my Windows -bigadv WU finishes.

Thats cool. So you're running a virtual linux on top of windows using vmware or did you change the base OS to linux? Is the gain only for bigadv or would my amd box benefit from this as well. You've peaked my curiosity...is there a howto or something I could refer to?

I'm getting about 27 tpf on a bigadv 6900 in win7, was thinking of getting some faster mem to improve the tpf.

Just gave this a try but could not get a -bigadv WU in Linux. Will try again in a couple of days when my Windows -bigadv WU finishes.

Same here. It looks like it trashed the SMP WU it finished today, too. Couldn't send it over and over, then just said it couldn't read it and deleted it.

I disabled advmethods and changed packet size to big and got a bigadv finally. And I guess my error with the SMP was actually just langouste.

Langouste? Either spell check got you or that's a use of the word with which I'm not familiar.

I did the same with advmethods and big packets - still didn't get me a bigadv. I caught a 6901 WU on Windows so it's going to be another 2 days from now until I can try for a -bigadv on Linux again.

Let's hope V7 eliminates most of this arcane nonsense required to get FAH running well.

Last edited:
Langouste? Either spell check got you or that's a use of the word with which I'm not familiar.

I did the same with advmethods and big packets - still didn't get me a bigadv. I caught a 6901 WU on Windows so it's going to be another 2 days from now until I can try for a -bigadv on Linux again.

Let's hope V7 eliminates most of this arcane nonsense required to get FAH running well.

It's a program so you can download a new WU while uploading the old one. Not sure how big of a difference it will make, but I enabled it anyway.

Edit: It looks like with a single client it's only going to save an average of 2 minutes a day for me. Would be a lot more useful if you had a bunch of clients, or very slow upload. I wish I had it at work, which could take 30mins to upload an SMP WU.

Last edited:
It's a program so you can download a new WU while uploading the old one. Not sure how big of a difference it will make, but I enabled it anyway.

Ahhh, got it. I was wondering if it was slang for a bug or something (lobsters are bug like - it made sense in my head).

The beta V7 folding client does this - it will get your next WU before the current one finishes and will fold while trying to upload. I've had some bigadv WUs that just would not upload for hours - being able to fold during this time would be helpful. You might want to give it a try.

Thats cool. So you're running a virtual linux on top of windows using vmware or did you change the base OS to linux? Is the gain only for bigadv or would my amd box benefit from this as well. You've peaked my curiosity...is there a howto or something I could refer to?

I'm getting about 27 tpf on a bigadv 6900 in win7, was thinking of getting some faster mem to improve the tpf.

Yes, a Linux VM on top of a Windows host, if the host system was Linux I would run F@H on the host rather than a guest. :beer:

Only thing i did was download the client (v6.32) install the ia32 lib's and create a launcher pointing to the client with the arguments "-bigadv -smp 8"
along with my name, team, and passcode in the config file.

edit: oh and installed "vftpd" so I could monitor progress from HFM in my host. (vmware allows a router to assign a seprate internal IP to each machine if needed)

Id so love to do this but I know nothing about Linux:rain:

it's easy. ;) I dont think I would try it in V-box though.

Oddly, my fastest TPF hasn't reduced much, but my average is up quite a bit.

Code:
 Name: 2600k
 Path: D:\Programs\Misc\Folding@Home SMP\
 Number of Frames Observed: 300

Min. Time / Frame : 00:28:42 - 40,055.7 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:31:34 - 34,725.1 PPD

Name: Linux VM
 Path: \\192.168.1.110\fah\
 Number of Frames Observed: 173

Min. Time / Frame : 00:27:03 - 43,776.0 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:28:30 - 40,478.1 PPD

So, yay for an extra 6k ppd on average.