• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just switched to Linux Bigadv in VMWare ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
Last night this 6901 WU was taking 27:30 per frame. This morning it's down to 23:05. I have no idea why, but I'll take it.

Code:
Project ID: 6901
 Core: GRO-A5
 Credit: 8955
 Frames: 100

Name: ASUS 2600K
 Path: \\ubuntu\FAH\
 Number of Frames Observed: 44

Min. Time / Frame : 00:23:03 - 55,652 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:24:49 - 49,816 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:23:06 - 54,225 PPD
 R3F. Time / Frame : 00:23:05 - 54,275 PPD
 All  Time / Frame : 00:24:02 - 51,516 PPD
 Eff. Time / Frame : 00:25:51 - 46,858 PPD

I think only VMware player 3.0 will support the 8 threads needed, I use the full workstation suite if you didn't catch that. Fold on.

ChasR found out that the latest version of VMWare Player (3.1.4) is supposed to be able to support 8 cores without even needing to edit the config file by hand.

Wait, I found out it'll run 8 cores on a machine that has 8 physical cores. 3.1.4 will not run on 8 cores on an i7, though I haven't personally tried.

Noted!

Darn, that would have been useful if I got a SB system. Right now though I've got too many cores.

Yeah, I just stopped running the VM Player when I started Folding with W7, so everything should still be ok. I may have to update the core, but after that I should be good to go.
I think only VMware player 3.0 will support the 8 threads needed, I use the full workstation suite if you didn't catch that. Fold on.

Noted!

Darn, that would have been useful if I got a SB system. Right now though I've got too many cores.

Workstation will do up to 32 threads appose to the 8 some versions of Player are capable of. The only reason I have the full suite is because I got a one year trial through MSDNAA. However If you want to load up one of those 980's you can at least get a one month trial here https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=vmware-workstation&lp=default ;)
I am sure by next year I will totally want to shell out the $180 for a licence of myown.

Im kinda bummed though, just fired my VM back up now that I feel comfortable with my overclock and I got an A3 Wu. :(
It is doing like 25,000ppd though with just that haha here is my HFM http://www.hfase.com/fah/Linux SMP.html

Last edited:
Workstation will do up to 32 threads appose to the 8 some versions of Player are capable of. The only reason I have the full suite is because I got a one year trial through MSDNAA. However If you want to load up one of those 980's you can at least get a one month trial here https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=vmware-workstation&lp=default ;)
I am sure by next year I will totally want to shell out the $180 for a licence of myown.

Sounds worth checking. I've got an SR-2 with 24 threads running that would be nice to put a VM on.

What I am kinda interested in is how to set up VMware so disk-less machines can boot the VM's from LAN. I'll be looking into that here shortly. Then a setup like sfu's could run totally disk-less with a server hosting the VM's. Kinda like a terminal server setup I guess. :/
This idea is on my back-burner anyway though, I definitely don't have a rack of motherboards to try it on. :beer:

Right now I'm trying to set up a mailserver in a ubuntu server VM. LOL

Last edited:
Hans,
Are you sure Workstation will run 32 vcpus? This is the statement off the VMware site:

Run Your Most Demanding Applications on the Most Advanced Virtualization Platform

Create virtual machines with up to 8 virtual processors or 8 virtual cores, 2 TB virtual disks and up to 32 GB of memory per virtual machine to run the most demanding applications. Protect your virtual machines from prying eyes with 256-bit AES encryption and smart card authentication.

Last edited:
This is what I'm getting in VM/Ubuntu vs W7:

W7:

Name: WinSMP
Path: C:\WinSMP\
Number of Frames Observed: 300

Min. Time / Frame : 00:31:05 - 35,538 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:36:11 - 28,296 PPD

VM/Ubuntu:

Name: UBUNTU
Path: Z:\
Number of Frames Observed: 23

Min. Time / Frame : 00:30:35 - 36,413 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:31:58 - 34,075 PPD
Cur. Time / Frame : 00:31:03 - 35,054 PPD
R3F. Time / Frame : 00:31:19 - 34,649 PPD
All Time / Frame : 00:31:58 - 33,694 PPD
Eff. Time / Frame : 00:34:46 - 30,043 PPD

The AVG Time and PPD is what I have been seeing with W7 while running the GPU and with 26% completed on this first Ubuntu/VM WU, I am seeing a total PPD increase of around 6000~7000 PPD. :)

Hans,
Are you sure Workstation will run 32 vcpus? This is the statement off the VMware site:

Run Your Most Demanding Applications on the Most Advanced Virtualization Platform

Create virtual machines with up to 8 virtual processors or 8 virtual cores, 2 TB virtual disks and up to 32 GB of memory per virtual machine to run the most demanding applications. Protect your virtual machines from prying eyes with 256-bit AES encryption and smart card authentication.

actually 64! 8 cpus * 8 cores = 64 threads. You might be right though I see it complaining, but I only have 8 to try it on.

64cores.png

It doesn't say it won't work, but it does say a total over 8 isn't supported. It would be interesting to find out.

Goofy isn't it? It does say "supported" though in the screenshot, however It does not state that number as being 'supported by the software' or 'supported by the hardware'. :shrug:

I guess I could try rebooting with HT off and see if that number changes to four, indicating that "supported" might mean 'supported by the hardware configuration'.

Last edited:
That's a thought. I googled all sorts of combinations of vmware support for more than 8 cores and didn't come up with anything right away.

Hmmm, still says 8 after rebooting with HT off. Interesting, I may be wrong.

It does however give a different warning when the cores are set to more than the hosts hardware configuration but less than eight.

('total physical cores'<'total virtual cores'<8)

"Powering on the virtual machine will fail because it is configured to use more virtual processor cores than the host suports."

Last edited:
I'm going on vacation in about 10 hours. But when I get back, I'll try the trial version on my SR-2 and see if it works. And if it has any improvement.

Back