• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Read?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

I'm looking for books and/or websites that convey the greatest possible amount of knowledge about hardware, as I am interested in the matter, but don't have the time to conduct a massive research project. I would also like to actively contribute to the forums, but I can't really help the majority of the time.

Through building two rigs, skimming through an outdated book on hardware released in 2006, and writing mediocre reviews without practical tests on a private platform, I have managed to acquire basic knowledge of what the individual components of a computer do. When I, however, say remove the cooler of a VGA though I won't be able to tell you which parts of the card do what.

Now I have only recently discovered the overclocking scene as a place where experimental individuals are welcome and had thus decided to give overclocking a shot. Playing with an E6850, i7 930 and an HD 5970 have got me interested, so I think the next step is really getting to know my hardware. No point in trying to push something to its limits when you cannot fully appreciate the details, cannot understand and use every available setting and cannot feel the computer in terms of what it needs. I hear people saying "building a computer is so easy - buy the hardware, plug it in like the manual says and install the OS." I personally feel that that description does not do the science behind modern systems justice. I bought high-end components just for the simple reason that their features, their performance are something that I can appreciate and want to put to the test myself. Hopefully you can help me find the right literature to do just that.

Cheers,
Mark

Overclocking forces you to learn system architechture so it's a good place to go.

You can learn a lot from reading the guides to overclocking your (X) cpu because they explain the architechture as well as how to tweak it.

Also this website has informative articles and you can learn a lot just from reading the conversations.

Anandtech - the guy who writes it asks chip designers questions they can't answer some times. REALLLLY knows his stuff. His videos on youtube are excellent

The Computer Chronicles - You tube. Excellent place to learn computer history

Tom's Hardware - Guy named Tom. Hardware. Excellent.

Diagrams! They're not hard to come by. You can get very complex CPU and platform architechture diagrams to help you understand as you read along and learn about hardware. They also help you understand what your tweaking is doing.

Good luck :)

Back