• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please stop using the calendar!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonkin

I apologize, but I have to rant about this.

My mother calls me today telling me her computer, my old gaming laptop Toshiba Qosmio x305 q705, was shutting down on her.

I show up and take one look at it and notice she has one of those thick desk calendars sitting underneath it. Before I remove it I start up speedfan and CPUID hardware monitor. The cpu is idling at 65c and the gpu is idling at 75c. :eek:

I instantly turn it off and sit down at the table where I proceed to tear the whole thing down. I replace the thermal pads and tim on the gpu with mx-4 and do the same with the cpu. Luckily the heat sink on the gpu was such that it sat nearly flush with the vrm, memory, and chipset, so no copper shims needed to make up the space. While I'm in there I give it a good spray of compressed air to clean it out.

Bring it back out and sit back down hoping I can get it to cool on that calendar because I know the fight I'm going to have otherwise.

Well the tim replacement worked and dropped the gpu down to 60c and the cpu down to 58c. Not what I'm looking for however and I sigh, dreading the upcoming argument. :argue:

Sure enough, I get the "But I like it and it's nice to have something to write on" argument. :sly::bang head

Finally, as a last hope, I bring her in here and show her the temps, then I take the calendar out and bring her back after 5 mins to the happy tune of 38 C on gpu and 32c on cpu. :clap::thup:

"But, isn't it fine with a little higher temp?" :rain::temper:

I finally had to sit down a legal pad next to the laptop so she could have something to write on.

Sorry ocf, just venting frustration. :shrug:

I think you will find better results when you communicate in *F. The moment I tell a rookie that their hardware is operating over 100*, they go into thermonuclear meltdown mode.

Because those stands make the Toshiba run hotter than sitting on a flat surface. :shrug: Seen it with my own eyes. Put on desk, fine. Put on a notebook cooler and it over heats.

Wow lol. My dad was bad about putting his HP on the newspaper after he was done reading it, so I just got a cheap stand from the local office. Just a hinged piece of plastic that has two levels of height and a cutout in the middle for it to suck air through.

I told him if he didn't use it I was going to steal his battery and charger so he couldn't kill his computer. He started using the stand :D

Because those stands make the Toshiba run hotter than sitting on a flat surface. :shrug: Seen it with my own eyes. Put on desk, fine. Put on a notebook cooler and it over heats.

Same issues here. HP Pavilion DV9000 does the same thing. If it's angled up any at all, they get hot. It's how the heat pipe that leads to the heatsink is set up. When you angle it in certain directions, it won't pull the heat to the heatsink, so it blows cold air as the CPU melts.

OP i got the same problem at home with my wife. Damn desk calender all it is is a giant scratch paper that she doodles on and write phones numbers. I told her she can keep it till summer then its getting tossed. Even when you clean it all out the darn thing gets hot. Good luck winning that argument.

Some laptops use a reversed ventilation scheme. IE: they actively pull cool air in with the blower and passively vent it out the bottom instead actively pushing hot air out with the blower while passively pulling in cool air from the bottom. If it is designed to use reversed airflow, most laptop coolers will actually decrease cooling because they fight against the normal airflow of the laptop. There are coolers that are designed to pull air away from the bottom of the laptop instead of blowing air into it. I have an aluminum cooler master unit that the fans are repositionable and can be flipped over too (depending on what your laptop requires).

Next time this happens you should pull the cover and heatsink off, put a DICE/ln2 pot in place, fill it with water and ask how she likes here pasta cooked. Cause at that point its pretty much become a hotplate and not a computer. Or mabye some george forman grill stickers?

Back