• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jonesing for a modular PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

But I already have a decent PSU. It just has gobs of extra cables such as drive cables and video card adapters that I don't need and may never use.

I'm curious about better solutions than just coiling the extra cables up and shoving them as far out of the way as possible.

If I open up my PSU, is it likely that I'll find a convenient spot to desolder the extras? Or is it more likely that they're all connected at several common voltage connectors? It seems like the cleanest solution would be to disconnect them inside the PSU if feasible.

Does anyone just cut the unused ones a few inches outside the case (insulating them as necessary to prevent shorts?) It seems like if I left twoa or three inches, I could reconnect the cables at a later time should the need to use them arise.

I suppose I could fab an external bulkhead and put connectors into that, but it means I'd have to find a source for suitable connectors along with the tools necessary to attach them - and then learn how to do it right.

I looked at the sticky that linked to extremeoverclocking.com, and was rather disappointed to see that most of the pictures were gone. Most of the information I see is on how to sleeve cables with no mention on the best solutions for extra cables. Pointers to useful information in this regard would be welcome.

thanks,
hank

From what I've seen, they are sort of "bundled" within the power supply and all soldered to one point. An easy solution would be to open it, cut them short and put heatshrink/electrical tape around the end to prevent shorting. You get the same look with far less work.

From what I've seen, they are sort of "bundled" within the power supply and all soldered to one point. An easy solution would be to open it, cut them short and put heatshrink/electrical tape around the end to prevent shorting. You get the same look with far less work.
That's what I thought I'd find.

Thanks for the tip.

Don't trim back all of the extra cables. You might get an upgrade down the road or a few extra HDDs, etc. and realize you don't have enough connectors...

Don't trim back all of the extra cables. You might get an upgrade down the road or a few extra HDDs, etc. and realize you don't have enough connectors...
Yup. My desire would be to remove surplus cables in a manner such that they could be replaced should the need arise. Perhaps leaving one or two extra cables would be wise too.

thanks,
hank

Back