• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I ever get back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bman.

Registered
Evening guys-

I had to RMA my mobo (ASUS P8P67 for failure...and good time to wrap to the new v3 board any way) and the swap went fine and now I am back up and running. Not bad for 1 hours time.

Question - can I ever get back to the temps I had with my Corsair H70 with the shipped thermal paste? I was getting idle temps 25-27c on all cores at 4.6 ...with the rebuild I am getting 38-43c between the 4 cores.

I have re-applied using the BB method but I wonder if I still have too much? The original compound on the H70 was a thing to win layer applied to the whole cooler. I am wonder if I should give it another go with the credit card spread method across the whole cooling clock itself (versus on the CPU).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Bman.

I would first look at what the ambient temps are today and what you remember them to have been back when you had the previous setup.

If those two numbers are not far enough from each other to justify the difference; I would then go looking at:
- Bad mount on the block to the cpu
- dusty rad on the H70
- failing fan on the H70
- failing pump on the H70

Good tips - I cleaned up the rad and fans when I dropped in the new mobo.
True, ambient was the first think I thought about. Ambient is about 8f warmer I suspect +/-.

I am going to try one more time with a thin spread on the block and see how that goes.
I wonder if the h70 block prefers to have a wide spread since the pump is pretty wide ?
Well see...

It's cooled than it was the first application I tried tonight by 10c so I think it's the applicator (me!) versus the hardware. I suck! :)

Back