• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Xsesive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShortAlieN

Xsesive? Maybe. Worth it? Hell yes!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, kiddies of all ages, shapes, sizes and species I present for your viewing pleasure a little something I put together from the inspiration, insight, and intelligence I gathered through the forums.

Specs:

Case: NZXT Phantom
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth x58
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 ghz
RAM: Patriot Sector 7 1600mhz 6gb
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 480 @ 850mhz

For quiet and efficient cooling for these smoking hot chips I went with a mix and match bunch of liquid cooling equipment. The 480, NorthBridge, and Vreg are all cooled with the help of Koolance water blocks. Extremely happy with these products with high quality, great looks and superb cooling you cant go wrong with these. I also used the XSPC RASA 750 RS360 water cooling kit and added a Black Ice 120mm radiator on the back. I stripped down the case, painted it and made it my own. Plumbed everything with BitsPower compression fittings and some 3/8"ID 1/2"OD clear tubing, then quenched it with some Feser One. Stuff it full of hard drives and away we go!

The Goods!

101_0543.jpg

101_0540.jpg

101_0684.jpg

I got lights on switches!

101_0624.jpg

101_0521.jpg

Super Green!

101_0648.jpg

Air is pushed around by nine Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120mm Fans with Green LED's

101_0599.jpg

101_0604.jpg

101_0635.jpg

101_0634.jpg

101_0629.jpg

Of course you have to keep the cables tidy.

101_0581.jpg

Makes for a nice clean look.

101_0613.jpg

And there it is, thats what I have for you fine people today.

101_0700.jpg

Not bad? What do you guys think? I sure had fun building it.

Project Xsesive Build Log

Last edited:
looks nice...
only thing is the fesser1....
if you read very much you should know to use dionized/distilled water and biocide and/or silcer kill coils...

looks nice...
only thing is the fesser1....
if you read very much you should know to use dionized/distilled water and biocide and/or silcer kill coils...

Yes I have read about it. But all in all, I don't like colored tubing, I'm constantly working on my rig, and I hate dirt and dust so I'm constantly cleaning it. Feser works well, Looks good, and staining? why would I worry about the tubes being stained? No worries here man.

Staining of the tubes isn't the problem. It's the dye coming out of the fluid and sticking in the micro channels or pin grid array in your waterblocks that is the killer. And yes, Feser 1 has done this in the past.

Inline filter = removal of most of the separated gunk. Regular cleaning = removal of the rest of the gunk. As long as you maintain your system it will not end up like that. If you put a bunch of money into a system and do it proper, things like that can be avoided. I've seen the buildup, gunk, and all the other crap that comes with liquid cooling. Regular maintenance is key. If I wanted it to be easy I could of just stuck with air.

hmm i like to play with the computer and do many other things...
dont have time for that many cleanings hell i am working 60+hrs a week at my job...

Thanks Pepe, seems difficult to please around here.

I have tried 3D gaming, and it is awesome, but it gives me a headache if I play for more than 30 mins so I shy away from it a bit.

Thanks Pepe, seems difficult to please around here.

I have tried 3D gaming, and it is awesome, but it gives me a headache if I play for more than 30 mins so I shy away from it a bit.

Don't worry about pleasing people on this forum. The only person you have to please is you.

It's your stuff, and none of us are going to "TELL" you what to do with it. We will, however, warn you of previous problems involved with things you do. It's just to make sure you understand the issues caused by this or that.

We get quite a few people who don't know the problems caused by products like Feser One. Don't realize the increases in cleaning cycles that are required if you plan to use it.

It's not that many of us don't like the look of dyes, either. I love the look of dyed water, but I am not prepared to deal with the side of effects of using it. In the end, colored tubing and led lights in rez give me nearly the same effect, and I am happy with that.

Thanks Daemonkin. I think I was probably just feeling a bit defensive about it because everyone tells me about the problems, as I am new around here I want everyone to be pleased so they look forward to what I build. Well anyway, it is what it is.

Thanks to those that are trying to help.

I really shouldn't bother with feeding a troll, but I feel generous today.

OH MY GOD! WHAT A BUNCH OF INSENSITIVE WINY CREEPS!

No need to comment on this as it means absolutely nothing. All I read is :blah:

It's brutally obvious the guy put a lot of efforts, time and money into his build.
It's brutally obvious the guy put a lot of bling in his build.
It's brutally obvious he is new to post here.

Yes it is brutally obvious, which is why we are letting him know about problems now. I hate seeing nice rigs get messed up, as do many others.

Don't you all see that he is very proud of his rig? (as he should be)

More filler

It's also very obvious you all are eager to wine and b##ch at every chance you get.

No, we are eager to keep people from making mistakes that have been made in the past. What? You think you, or he, is special? Think you are the first ones to show up? I got the same treatment, as did many others. We saw it for what it was. Straight up constructive criticism. We see something that causes a problem, and we let them know. It's called educating.

He seems to know the problem and is fine with it. No one here is going to think less of him for it or give him problems about, but we will let him know that it can cause a problem.

But if you want your wining and b##ching to be better received, maybe you should consider making the guy feel a bit more welcomed first.
Maybe you should try and compliment his rig for a little while before you try to stomp on him and bring in your precious clogging pics.
His rig is not going to fall apart next week if you put a cork in it for a couple of days.

His first question was "What do you guys think?" Should we lie to him for a week telling him everything is perfect and then say what we don't like about it? Seems rather deceitful to me, and could lead to many problems later on.

I'll be building my fourth rig, and god knows every single one of them were not perfect but I was tremendously proud of each and every one of them.

You aren't special here, either. Every one of us are proud of what we build. I personally like it when people point out my mistakes so that I can make sure I never do them again. I guess I don't need to be coddled. :shrug:

So when I finish this one, let me assure you this forum will be the last place on earth where I'll post my results. Because one of you is bound to find a flaw in it and the rest of you will gang up and try hard to bring me down, as you are all doing here.

I never saw anyone ganging up on anything. We provide knowledge as a collective. That's how message boards work. I provided examples of what an earlier post pointed out because many people don't want to believe what someone says. [/color]

Can't you wait a week or so before stomping on the guy's head?
Do you think his rig is going to fall apart in the next week?

Who stomped his head? Please, show me who did it? Did anyone here scream at him and call him names? I sure can't find it. In fact, the only person in this thread who is doing everything that you are claiming is, GASP, YOU. We didn't flame him. We didn't make fun of him. We didn't say anything at all about him or his rig. We said "HEY, this stuff can cause problems." What's wrong with that? What's wrong with letting a person know about a potential problem? Not a thing.

I don't think it's help they are trying to give you. I think they are just too pompous and jealous of your build and they are determined to bring you down to their level.

How very presumptuous of you. :rolleyes:

To me, it is very obvious these people spend too much time with forum posts, flow charts, tubing barbs, and not enough time with real people.

Oh we spend too much time learning about our hobby. Therefore this forum shouldn't be listened to. I'm sure there is logic in there somewhere...

Once again ShortAlien, YOUR BUILD LOOKS AWESOME and I'm not saying it just to suck up to ya, I mean it.

And even if they are right about Feser1, don't worry about it right now. Give it a week or two before you consider changing fluids, or not.
Right now you should be swimming in pride and gloat to your friends.

"I dare do all that may become a man, who dares more is none"
- Hamlet

More filler

Thanks, and have a nice day.

OH MY GOD! WHAT A BUNCH OF INSENSITIVE WINY CREEPS!

It's brutally obvious the guy put a lot of efforts, time and money into his build.
It's brutally obvious the guy put a lot of bling in his build.
It's brutally obvious he is new to post here.

Don't you all see that he is very proud of his rig? (as he should be)

It's also very obvious you all are eager to wine and b##ch at every chance you get.

But if you want your wining and b##ching to be better received, maybe you should consider making the guy feel a bit more welcomed first.
Maybe you should try and compliment his rig for a little while before you try to stomp on him and bring in your precious clogging pics.
His rig is not going to fall apart next week if you put a cork in it for a couple of days.

I'll be building my fourth rig, and god knows every single one of them were not perfect but I was tremendously proud of each and every one of them.

So when I finish this one, let me assure you this forum will be the last place on earth where I'll post my results. Because one of you is bound to find a flaw in it and the rest of you will gang up and try hard to bring me down, as you are all doing here.

Can't you wait a week or so before stomping on the guy's head?
Do you think his rig is going to fall apart in the next week?

I don't think it's help they are trying to give you. I think they are just too pompous and jealous of your build and they are determined to bring you down to their level.

To me, it is very obvious these people spend too much time with forum posts, flow charts, tubing barbs, and not enough time with real people.

Once again ShortAlien, YOUR BUILD LOOKS AWESOME and I'm not saying it just to suck up to ya, I mean it.

And even if they are right about Feser1, don't worry about it right now. Give it a week or two before you consider changing fluids, or not.
Right now you should be swimming in pride and gloat to your friends.

"I dare do all that may become a man, who dares more is none"
- Hamlet

actually im sure if he had not used feser 1 there would have been nothing negative said about the build, and then had he not spat in their faces when they tried to help with the feser 1 issue they probably would have commented on it alot better.
if you wanna post your :censored::censored::censored::censored: on an open forum then expect some constructive critisizm, its obvious you just want some one to enjoy your work and they are trying to help you enjoy it more.... i didnt take their advice on water additives and look at me im on my second round with algae.

and PepeLapiu if you wanna :cry: about recieving help then go do it some where else. these guys are just trying to keep people from having the headaches others have had, and believe me they arent great headaches.

PepeLapiu, you are the one that needs to take a chill pill!

ShortAlieN seems to realize where we are coming from. We warn people that dyes can and will come out of solution and plug stuff up. This isn't an islated incedent, but has been seen to happen many times, so we want people to know what can potentially happen. And ShortAlieN has posted that he knows about this and accepts the fact that he has to clean his loop more often and that is cool too. I like the look, but then I really don't worry so much about looks as I do performance. I don't go out of my way to make colored water or things of that nature in my loops because I don't have the time to baby all 4 of them I have running at my house and also the fact that I am away from home for weeks at a time with the computers running, so reliability is first and paramount. And most of us here are the same way and don't have time to babysit our loops either, so we warn about using dyes. So I think you better chill out or go find somewhere else to blow up at, because you won't last long here, understand!

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

And ShortAlieN, I forgot to tell you how good your system looks when I was trying to warn you earlier about the dangers of dyes. You did a damn nice job on that system and you have every right to post it up.:thup: And it would be nice if you would add some pics of your build into the watercooling picture thread in here too, because it needs to be showcased in that thread, man

Nice rig. :thup:

Next time I'd like to see some in progress shots also as you put it together - nice to see the progression. Good work. :beer:

I can post a build log if you guys like, i have a ton of pictures. will give me something to work on this week.

Starting to get parts for my next build this week as well. Hopefully be able to get that started soon. Lots of parts and work ahead of me for that one.

I'm looking forward to checking your build out then. From the pics you posted here, you seem to be incredibly meticulous on your build. That is some of the very neatest wiring jobs I've ever seen in a case man.:thup:

Back