• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer PC Build (First Time Building Computer)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DungeonOgre

Registered
[Solved] Summer PC Build (First Time Building Computer)

Attempted Price Area (w/ Warranties, S&H): $2000 - $2500

Hi All -

Hope this isn't in the wrong spot. I just wanted to see what the Overclockers forum thought of my current build. This is by no means my final build, and is a constant work in progress. I plan to do at least a month of research and get a lot of input before actually buying the components. I should also add that I'm a newbie, and this is my first build.

Included with the components are comments. This PC is intended to be a high-end gaming rig that will allow me to not only upgrade in the future, but will allow the possibility for future SLI, Overclocking, and even different methods of cooling (such as water cooling - but not for a while).

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16433605

Last edited:
Might I ask where you are getting your prices?

These are S&H and warranty added prices. Would you prefer the original prices?

I got these off of Google Shopping. I also have the New Egg prices if necessary.

Last edited:
Intel 2500K, a different PSU (you don't need 1000w, far from it), and a different hard drive (why the SV35? that's for video surveillance use) are some first steps I would take to change your system.

1st off, different brand PSU. Most everyone on the site will recommend Corsair or Seasonic. Even if you SLI/Crossfire 2 cards, you shouldn't need more than 850W.

2. You talk about being picky with the sound card, but are going to settle for monitor speakers? That seems to be one of the biggest contradictions I've ever heard. Even if you just got some $40-$50 PC 2.1 setup, you'd be light-years ahead of built-in speakers on a monitor.

3. Why that case? Do you simply particularly like the features/looks? With that sort of budget, you would probably be better off looking for a full tower case. More room, better features, better build quality (generally).

4. If you are sure you don't need a 1TB drive, get a 640 or so. No need if you're not going to use it.

5. Unless there is something special about that specific DVD drive, just stick to a $20 one. Remember, in this day and age, optical drives aren't used much at all. The only time I've ever used mine was to install Windows. Everything else has been download. All programs, music, etc. Saves me from having to keep up with a thousand CDs.

Lastly, again, with that budget, splurge a little on the CPU cooler, atleast I would (and did.) The 212+ is a great cooler, but there is better out there, all for under $100. Look at Thermalright and Noctua for starters.

Intel 2500K, a different PSU (you don't need 1000w, far from it), and a different hard drive (why the SV35? that's for video surveillance use) are some first steps I would take to change your system.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw that. I promise you I'm not looking to do any video surveillance in the future.

Replacing:

HD is now - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Any good?)

Core I7 CPU with Core I5 Sandy Bridge 2500K, which a lot of people seem to love. Seems like a good chip.

As for the PSU, will I be fine with 750W if I SLI the GTX 580 in the future? I heard they require a lot of juice.

1st off, different brand PSU. Most everyone on the site will recommend Corsair or Seasonic. Even if you SLI/Crossfire 2 cards, you shouldn't need more than 850W.

2. You talk about being picky with the sound card, but are going to settle for monitor speakers? That seems to be one of the biggest contradictions I've ever heard. Even if you just got some $40-$50 PC 2.1 setup, you'd be light-years ahead of built-in speakers on a monitor.

3. Why that case? Do you simply particularly like the features/looks? With that sort of budget, you would probably be better off looking for a full tower case. More room, better features, better build quality (generally).

4. Sounds good. I'm probably going to settle with a 500 GB HD for now. I could always get a second one later on if I need more space.

5. Unless there is something special about that specific DVD drive, just stick to a $20 one. Remember, in this day and age, optical drives aren't used much at all. The only time I've ever used mine was to install Windows. Everything else has been download. All programs, music, etc. Saves me from having to keep up with a thousand CDs.

Lastly, again, with that budget, splurge a little on the CPU cooler, atleast I would (and did.) The 212+ is a great cooler, but there is better out there, all for under $100. Look at Thermalright and Noctua for starters.

1. Looking for a different PSU as we speak.

2. Judging by your response, sounds like monitor speakers aren't so good. Removed for now until I find a better one. If I'm not willing to get good speakers, it would also probably be pointless to get a sound card. I'll have to make a decision on that.

3. Do you have any recommendations for a roomy case? I just thought it looked neat, but I'm not devoted to buying it or anything. I'll probably have to do some more research for a better case.

4. Sounds good. I'll probably opt for the 500GB HD for now, and just get another one if I need it (unless if I want to do RAID).

5. The CD/DVD is actually $20, but I was thinking about getting 2 of them. There really is no point, however, so I'll be able to cut $20 off there. You made an excellent point - not only would having 2 of them be pointless, but CD/DVD drives aren't used as much any more. Saved me $21!

Thanks for the suggestions. Will make changes.

Last edited:
That wd black drive is ecellent, I would get 2 of them for raid 0, which will combine them into 1tb and double the speed, for Psu I recommend 850-900w as I'm looking into 570sli right now and it will require 750-800w, also for hdd's I recommend Samsungs spinpoint f3 and f4, there very fast and cheap.

That wd black drive is ecellent, I would get 2 of them for raid 0, which will combine them into 1tb and double the speed, for Psu I recommend 850-900w as I'm looking into 570sli right now and it will require 750-800w, also for hdd's I recommend Samsungs spinpoint f3 and f4, there very fast and cheap.

That's a good point I could look into, but I'm a total RAID noob. I definitely have to research it some more.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Almost every new mobo has raid build into it so I'm sure you won't need addoncard, just read raid section in mobo manual it will tell you how it works

If you don't need storage space, I would suggest a SSD. If you do need storage space, get a SSD and a larger mechanical drive. Keep your OS and primary programs on the SSD, everything else on the mechanical.

If you don't need storage space, I would suggest a SSD. If you do need storage space, get a SSD and a larger mechanical drive. Keep your OS and primary programs on the SSD, everything else on the mechanical.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I'm probably not looking to get SSD's just yet, just because they're pretty expensive (compared to a mechanical HD). Maybe in the future.

Would you recommend this, as opposed to getting 2 HD's and running RAID 0?

For software:
- find a college student to buy the $400 version of MS Office for $25 for you
- Buy Windows 7 64 Home Premium OEM from Newegg for <$100 there really is no benefit in buying the retail package.
- DO NOT BUY/USE NORTON, I deal with customer's everyday that have issues with norton. If you want a free AV use Microsoft Security Essentials. If you want a good paid one use Webroot or Kaspersky for $40 a year. The only real reason for an internet security version of an AV is for parental controls.

Personally I don't use sound cards I put the money towards better speakers, but I also buy mid/top end motherboards with good onboard sound. Also, I would get a different CPU cooler, I use both the Noctua and Corsair H70 in my rigs. You can't go wrong with either. And if you can justify it I would pay the extra $80 and just buy the i7 2600K, why not?

For software:
- find a college student to buy the $400 version of MS Office for $25 for you
- Buy Windows 7 64 Home Premium OEM from Newegg for <$100 there really is no benefit in buying the retail package.
- DO NOT BUY/USE NORTON, I deal with customer's everyday that have issues with norton. If you want a free AV use Microsoft Security Essentials. If you want a good paid one use Webroot or Kaspersky for $40 a year. The only real reason for an internet security version of an AV is for parental controls.

Personally I don't use sound cards I put the money towards better speakers, but I also buy mid/top end motherboards with good onboard sound. Also, I would get a different CPU cooler, I use both the Noctua and Corsair H70 in my rigs. You can't go wrong with either. And if you can justify it I would pay the extra $80 and just buy the i7 2600K, why not?

Great advice. I'm a grad student myself, so I wonder if I can get MS Office for so cheap.

It's just me using this PC, and I'm not a parent, so either Webroot or Kaspersky does sound like a great idea. Too bad I bought 2 years of Norton for my laptop. Wish I had known. Are both programs as good?

Yes, you should be able to. If not you can get the $400 version from microsoft right now for $79 i beleieve using your .edu email address.

I use both webroot and kaspersky. Kaspersky will do a better job of finding things, but will slow down the system a little bit if you keep all settings on (which i don't). Webroot is easy to use and has an excellent scanner.

Yes, you should be able to. If not you can get the $400 version from microsoft right now for $79 i beleieve using your .edu email address.

I use both webroot and kaspersky. Kaspersky will do a better job of finding things, but will slow down the system a little bit if you keep all settings on (which i don't). Webroot is easy to use and has an excellent scanner.

you can get win 7 pro UPGRADE for only $29 :)

Yes go with a SSD for the OS and your most used games/programs. I have like 20gig left on my 80gig and I have 3 games installed.

Also The i5 2500k is a nice chick with plenty of OC potential. 850w is all you should need even for SLI 580. I dont think there is to much performance gain with 580 vs 570 bt i could be mistaken , it's 4am off to bed.

About 10flps difference on average between 570 and 580, but well overclocked 570 can match 580 at stock speeds

Since u have 2.5k cash money to spend..

8GB Corsair Vengeance, maybe even more?
500-1TB Western Digital sata 6.0
SSD?
Corsair HX850
and get a Asus Maximus IV Extreme, you will be able to do SLI later

Since u have 2.5k cash money to spend..

8GB Corsair Vengeance, maybe even more?
500-1TB Western Digital sata 6.0
SSD?
Corsair HX850
and get a Asus Maximus IV Extreme, you will be able to do SLI later

For some reason, the poor wireless internet here caused my OP to truncate. I'll fix it with the current build I'm with now for suggestions.

Back