• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixed Metals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

4+ years ago Mixed Metals where not talked about. The details are still unclear. In My case I had an aluminum res, and copper (or steal - stainless/nickly plaiting) everywhere else. Maybe because the aluminum was not touching the cooper or the liquid cooling solutions I used prevented this corrosion, the issue did not exist. Does this issolation within the loop prevents the issue.

If I use a copper pipe and put standard barbs in it, will this create the problem I have not had?

If you put aluminum barbs on copper pipe, you will get galvanic corrosion no matter what you add to the loop.

In your situation, you probably didn't have problems because you had an anti-corrosive in your loop, which greatly limits the reaction of copper ions and aluminum.

4+ years ago Mixed Metals where not talked about. The details are still unclear. In My case I had an aluminum res, and copper (or steal - stainless/nickly plaiting) everywhere else. Maybe because the aluminum was not touching the cooper or the liquid cooling solutions I used prevented this corrosion, the issue did not exist. Does this issolation within the loop prevents the issue.

If I use a copper pipe and put standard barbs in it, will this create the problem I have not had?

same for me: 6 month running aluminium rad (motorbike radiators) and copper WB, with distilled water 90%/car liquid cooler 10%.

Took everything apart for cleaning last week: everything was shiny!

You have an anti corrosive. This greatly slows down the process. If you were capable of doing before and after scans with an electron microscope you would see damage.

Back