• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling question, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

my sig is at below.
how can i improve my system/cpu temps? now, as i am typing this thread, my temps are 47c(cpu), 30c(system). any suggestions guys?

P're, do you have case fans? How many? Have you tried running your system with an open case? Try putting a desktop electric fan facing the (open) case, to see if it helps. I know its hot over there, but I think two or more case fans should help control the heat inside of the case.

Maybe you can re-apply the heatsink with some good thermal grease (ASII, if available ASIII). Check the fan, maybe it is starting to fail and is not blowing enough CFMs anymore.

Good luck!

pre,
thanx for the suggestions. to answer ur Q's, my pc is modded, it has a total of 4 fans. 2 80mms for front intake and rear exhaust, 92mm side intake and 120mm top exhaust. its doing good at stock settings but when oc'd thats where i start getting this temps. the fans i bought are surplus fans i got from pc surplus shops around here. all of them are of the panaflo brand. quite noisy. ill try to see if i kud get one of those high-cfm types.

one word-H20!
u have done the best things i can think of to stop heat. u can go to a swiftech hs but thats a $60 option and i dont know exaclty how good it will help.

id say its just high readings as u dont have the diode in your chip. but if u wanna drop temps on cpu. air isnt gonna do much better.your options are all gonna be costly.

but i do see a h20 system as a good investment. it can be used in almost any system but may need a new waterblock or hold downs if a big switch is needed. i think the performance/usabilty out weighs the cost.

It kind of looks like an imbalance of fan positioning. Try not using the top blowhole and see if your case temps improve.

Turn your rear fans over to blow into the case and turn your front fans over to blow out your case and you will lose 3C.

You are better to put the 120 on the side or rear blowing in.

UserName said:
Turn your rear fans over to blow into the case and turn your front fans over to blow out your case and you will lose 3C.

You are better to put the 120 on the side or rear blowing in.

done that. actully it made the temps worse!

deathstar13 said:
one word-H20!
u have done the best things i can think of to stop heat. u can go to a swiftech hs but thats a $60 option and i dont know exaclty how good it will help.

id say its just high readings as u dont have the diode in your chip. but if u wanna drop temps on cpu. air isnt gonna do much better.your options are all gonna be costly.

but i do see a h20 system as a good investment. it can be used in almost any system but may need a new waterblock or hold downs if a big switch is needed. i think the performance/usabilty out weighs the cost.

pricey! might stay with air cooling for a while

i made my waterblock in about 10 minits...
used the bottom of a popcan with 2 pipes in it and a copper plate JBwelded to it.....
and i used a maxi-jet 1200 pump, a heatercore that i modded to be smaller, and some hoses..... thats it...... and now i added a gpu cooler but somehow my card is fried or something..so now, woo 4meg diamond s3!!! whoa!!! some top of the line video!!! hehe, this thing doesnt have any heatsinks on it, its so old

take one side of the case off and lower your
room temperature. that should help.

you fliped the rear fans over to blow in and the front fan's over to blow out and it's worse?

Check you did it right.

UserName said:
you fliped the rear fans over to blow in and the front fan's over to blow out and it's worse?

Check you did it right.

Heat rises. That's why normally, the intake is at the bottom front, and the exaust is at the upper rear.

Do you have a lot of cables blocking airflow?? Rounding the ribbons helps tremendously, if you haven't done that, and it's a freebie. The quick way about this is to fold the IDE and floppy cables into a "W" shape, and hold the folds in place with electrical tape. Cutting the individual wires apart (not recommended for 80 wire ATA66-up, unless your cutting in groups of five wires or so..) is also an option, but risks cutting into the wires and ruining the cable. If you've got "clumsy hands", folding might be better...;)

Heat rises with less force than a soft cuss, if you leave it alone.

You are much better to blow cooler outside air directly over your CPU than pull it thru your hot case and then blow it over your CPU.

Back