• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Redistribute Free space in RAID 5 using AMD RAIDXpert

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mazen97

Hi,

I have a PC build to be used as Storage Server. I installed Windows XP Pro and shared the RAID drive in my home network. I used the software that came with the Gigabyte motherboard. It is AMD RAIDXpert.

I have been using the server for a year and i found that one of the hard drives starts to produce some noise so I just went and got two larger hard drives and replaced them and rebuilt the array using the above utility and it works fine. The previous setup was 6 hard drives with 1TB each and the array built as RAID 5. The new hard drives are 2TB each.

Now I found that there are 2 TB free in total (1TB for each new hard drives) I tried to find a way to redistribute the free space but I couldn't find a way.

Is there a way to resize the RAID array without destroying the array and lose the data?

Mazen

I have no experience with this RAID controller, but if you look in the RAID configuration (usually right after the computer POSTs), what does it say the size is? If it reports the new size, you simply need a program to resize the partition in Windows.

What is the software?
Sorry, wrong page I guess. Look here for a description. I was thinking that you were probably able to see the space as unallocated in drive management and were just not able to increase the size of the primary partition. I have used it in Win7 but I don't really remember what XP was like as I didn't have AMD raid with it. As far as using it with raid it was no different then any other windows disk.

Back