• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help! Start up problems. BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yenwen

Registered
Hey guys,

Alright so I have a new build. Now I have all the parts but I can't start up Windows. I get a BSOD right off the bat. I can't read the BSOD because the system restarts immediately. Computer worked fine on my previous build...

System info:

i5 2400
EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Kingston Hyperx 6gb KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX
PSU Silverstone 850w
Windows 7 64

My previous system
Evga 680i
Q6600
ocz reaper 8 gb

I don't know whats wrong. and when the computer starts up I don't hear the beep of the system posting... I'm super confused. Please help

Did you reinstall windows fresh for this build or are you trying to use a pre-existing install from another PC?

If it is from another PC and was not reformatted, is the controller on your board set to AHCI or IDE? It should be set to the same standard as the previous PC. Still much better to reformat the drive and reinstall Win7 fresh for the new machine IMO.

What are the RAM timings? Have you set them manually? The IMC on Sandybridge is extremely non-fussy, so that's not a likely issue. Just set your memory to XMP and enter the voltage manually. Speaking of RAM, any particular reason you are running 6GB?

One of those sticks would have to run in single channel mode, making for a single/dual channel setup which would be less efficient than running 4GB or 8GB.

As far as the system beeping, are you sure there is a case speaker hooked up? AFAIK that mobo does not have a speaker on it. Most newer cases do not include speakers. The Antec 300 and 650D I recently bought do not. I'm using a $1 speaker with a 4 pin connector on my front panel header.

Did you reinstall windows fresh for this build or are you trying to use a pre-existing install from another PC?

If it is from another PC and was not reformatted, is the controller on your board set to AHCI or IDE? It should be set to the same standard as the previous PC. Still much better to reformat the drive and reinstall Win7 fresh for the new machine IMO.

What are the RAM timings? Have you set them manually? The IMC on Sandybridge is extremely non-fussy, so that's not a likely issue. Just set your memory to XMP and enter the voltage manually. Speaking of RAM, any particular reason you are running 6GB?

One of those sticks would have to run in single channel mode, making for a single/dual channel setup which would be less efficient than running 4GB or 8GB.

As far as the system beeping, are you sure there is a case speaker hooked up? AFAIK that mobo does not have a speaker on it. Most newer cases do not include speakers. The Antec 300 and 650D I recently bought do not. I'm using a $1 speaker with a 4 pin connector on my front panel header.

I'm using an exist harddive from a previous build. The mobo is set to AHCI. I have no idea if the previous build was set to AHCI or IDE... The harddive I'm using is Sata... I don't think the board has an IDE plug

Memory timing and volts are accurate. The mobo set them automatically. I'm only using 1 stick at the moment. Will install a second once it boots.

I have an Antec 900 so I guess it doesn't have a speaker. LOL Thanks for letting me know on that one. I had no idea.

Very rarely will a mobo read XMP timings automatically unless you tell it to do so. Apparently it's against JEDEC specifications to do so (An ASUS rep told me that) Might have just read JEDEC. That still wouldn't likely be it though. If it is BSOD as it enters windows, my guess is that you need to reinstall windows. The Win7 install is likely attempting to load drivers that are totally incompatible with your current equipment causing a BSOD.

I'd run the Win7 install, reformat your drive(s) and then install the OS.
It's never a great idea to use an install from another PC with another chipset/CPU etc.

I see... I'll give that a try. I hope it's just and ACHI vs IDE problem. But most likely it's not the mobo/cpu right? It's most likely a setting problem/hd?

99.9% driver incompatability that will be solved by reformat and reinstall 0.05% AHCI vs IDE 0.05% Ram timings :)

HAHAHA I see. But I don't want to reformat. I have that hard drive 90% filled with movies/ files that I want to keep. I may just buy a hard drive to do a clean install.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Well just got back. I was posting my questions on my laptop from Starbucks while getting some work done.

IT WORKED! Thank you guys so much. It turns out the problem wasn't the ram but that the storage setting was set to AHCI. Changed it to IDE and booted up perfectly. ^__^

Thanks guys. Next step is to learn how to overclock on this new bios. Is there a guide that I could use to learn how to overclock on this. I've never overclocked an i series cpu.

You can't overclock that CPU. It might have an extra 4 units (limited unlocked) but I don't think it does.

Basically with Sandybridge multi x baseclock= cpu frequency. Baseclock is 100 and it is not recommended to move it. So, 40x100=4Ghz, etc.

Your cpu is 3.1Ghz, and 3.4Ghz in Turbo mode. You may be able to add 2-4 extra multis, so 3.6 to 3.8, but I'm not certain whether the 2400 is 'locked' or 'limited unlocked'.
Only with a fully unlocked (ie, 2500K or 2600K) cpu can you set the cpu to whatever speed you want, assuming you don't overvolt or overheat it.

It's a limit unlock. My MAX multiplier I can do is 38. I plan on getting a i5 2500k or a i7 2600k later on. Probably in a month or 2. I'd just like to learn how to use my Asus p8p97 now so I can overclock later. lol

There's really nothing to it. You pick a number, and see if it works, and if it doesn't, you increase the Vcore until it does. That's about it. You probably won't need additional voltage to hit 38. Should just be a matter of entering that as your max turbo in the bios and that's about it.

If you had a 2500K and wanted like 45 or 46 you'd need to give it a bit more voltage because that's a lot further outside the CPUs normal envelope.

BTW make sure you uninstalled your old mobo's drivers and installed the ones for the new Intel chipset/lan/etc.

Last edited:
Back