• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDragon1260

OK currently i have an Athlon II X2 220, i am going to start a new job soon and with the extra cash i am going to get my CH5 Formula. Now my original plans were to get a Phenom II X4 965 BE but with bulldozer so close would it be better for me to get a Phenom II X6 1090 BE? I really do not want to shoot for bulldozer just yet since i really do not want to go over $180 for a processor. Should i just save some money and get the X4 and OC it or spend some extra cash and get the X6 to compete with the new chips?

I would ask how long you intend to keep the system? If its relatively short term I would say go with the X4, If its going to be 2 yrs or more I would say go with the X6. As future software will benefit from more cores Vs less cores but more clock speed. But try your hardest to wait for Bulldozer! You may not buy it but it should push the previous AMD CPU's down in price a little

Depends what you do with your computer. If you do a lot of tasks that can use 6 cores, then go with the X6 and overclock the snot out of it. If you primarily game, then go with the X4 and overclock the snot out of it.:D

Thats really what i do and i am not saying i might not upgrade to Bd in the future its just for right now i know BD is going to be a high priced CPU when it is released. Give it a year and the price should drop to where i can pick one up. Mostly i play WoW and some CoD (pre-Black Ops) and i would not really do anything extreme until i can build up a water cooling set up and get a BD chip.

Mmmm, What do you "really" do? You didnt make that very clear. If you are saying you use 6 cores, then what programs do you use?

However I am guessing you "really" do gaming from the last part of your post. In that case I would go with the X4 CPU.

sorry for not elaborating, yes im mainly a gamer and from what i have been told WoW does not even fully use 2 cores.

Last edited:
Back