• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games don't react to resolution change.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xandrino

Registered
Hiya

Sys:
Corsair TX950 (936 Continuous)
P6X58D-E, BIOS v0602
Core i7 930 + Scythe Mugen 2
3x 2GB Dominator 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24
GTX 590
Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Not OCed.

What do you think the reason can be for a game to run at the same FPS in 640x480 as it runs at 1920x1440? Not Vsync (not forced via nvidia controls), not smooth frame rate. They're runnin at the expected FPS, but that FPS wont raise if the resolution is lowered. Not consistently in every game (its really not smooth frame rate), but even if there is a reaction it feels too small a difference. Games do react to texture quality options seemingly alright.

Another thing is that in some games if i put Vsync on i'd get 60 FPS. As if the display's refresh rate would be 60, but its a CRT and at 1600x1200 reso its got 85 refresh rate and indeed it is that much since 60 would be quite noticable (in fact my eyes would leak outta their sockets if it was 60). Again i can confirm its not smooth frame rate option.

I had these with ATI 5970 as well and all these components are either new or just got back from the manufacturer with a test OK or swapped for a new one.

Regards

LOL, whats with the links in the sig? We all will get to them, I promise. :)

Likely having a stock CPU. The lower the res the more the CPU needs to work to push the frames the GPU is giving it.

In regards to vsync, if you are not pushing 85 FPS it wont show 85 FPS, its the next multiple down, likely 60.

Could you use the OSD of Msi afterburner to monitor the FPS? Seems very strange to me.

You may also want to enable GPU usage and clocks in the OSD, Just so you can monitor the GPU usage. I've had my GTX460 stick at low (2D clocks) in GTA4! But that game is buggy as hell!

phosphor persistance would completly change the perception of frame rate, just like a temporal filter,
frapps it, even though frapps would slow it down some, it is one way your going to get real numbers instead of perception
crt vs lcd two different worlds. different phosphors on crt is 2 more worlds. the way the screen changes is completly different
if your not used to CRT , it could be what seems wrong, because its Better :)

Last edited:
About a bottleneck.. I got it runnin on 3.6GHz and although games react to the OC with higher FPS, dropping the resolution still acts the same. That is in some games outright no effect changing between highest and lowest reso.

EarthDog
In regards to vsync, if you are not pushing 85 FPS it wont show 85 FPS, its the next multiple down, likely 60.

It does show the FPS (properly?) capped at 85 with vsync on in some games. What do you mean by this statment and esspecially by the next multiple down part?

I tried the soft what you advised Dixon. Results:
1600x1200
640x480

I wasnt saying what i was sayin backed only by my preception (except for the refresh rate being 85Hz instead of 60, but trust me on that one). Quite alright i was using Fraps (or a 1 called D3D Gear, same results) to measure. Im quite used to CRTs, been using them for life, only had LCDs for trying some promising models out. I even had the privilege to use a Sony GDM FW900 (the legend) at one time. So ye amen to "its better", but i do belive there is an LCD somewhere thats undisputedly better than any CRT in every aspect...

Gettin a lil off topic, so regards for now. Thanks for the input.

thanks for the view, that is truely strange, there are some games that balance out frame rate with quality, and some video Drivers that do the same, like ati has thier "catalyst AI"
but
who would lock at say 50 ? PAL (video systems) :) and if it did the same at 1600 as 640 , something is not bottle necked but more like locked somwhere. should be more like 100 and then some.
a games balancing system usually is a user control item, and when used if you put in 60 and it could do it would pretty much stay there. so thats not it.

that might leave a game that is completly CPU bound, it wouldnt even explain something like the video only having 1 lane connected
compatability? some OS thing in the 64bit that is running 32bit game and has some virtual limitations?

Ok put 2 pics side by side,
2 different reses , got that.
GPU clocks are the same
GPU memory clocks the same
GPU temperature the same
Fan speed similar
memory rate simaler and relative
But what is the number that is WAY different? GPU utalisation?
no CPU utalisation shown

how could the temps be so similar , if there is 4x the work?
mabey the video card isnt doing 4 times the work, and something fell back to a software render? or some other compatablility occurance?
no because the GPU shows doing 2x work, but total utalisation is still low , game unable to work with 2GPU?
that leaves
A video cards AI ? what does nvida call thier auto adjuster? because an AI would increase the work as soon as it reached adequite frame rates , it would balance things.

sales feature of 590 is very good heatsync cooling system, faster and runs cooler .

compujepordy for $500 "What is A Video AI" Alex

the answer might be way way off topic :)

Last edited:
Had these with ATI. from ati to nvida, and did you do a full driver sweeper cleanup when removing atis pigpile ?

web search says. one game improved when shadows were set to medium, they think driver is the bug.

some people "improved" W7 frame rate things by installing multiple drivers ?? crasily even. the only way that would work is if something was in the previous driver, that stayed when the next driver went in.
possibly poor testing with tester doing the same, and the One driver not being complete in its setup?

driver that does not work with some games "Please do not use 270.61 with this game " <--nvida forum
reverse that
"The GTX 590 that a few reviewers blew up were using old beta drivers that had no over current protection and shouldn't be used with the cards"
hey that should get the speed up :) and could be a big clue to drivers Controlling things.

thermal throttling a clue
some person thinks that thermal throttling is occuring based on total wattage , i got the feeling 2 times that some of the throttling might be based on the input voltage sinking, that some of the throttling isnt the gpu temps but the input power or regulators temps? PSU power stability and output , BUT enough people reported a full curcuit interupt on thier PSU (overload), so it didnt stop pulling power then.

drivers suck, and many people are getting very strange results that make little sence, something is certannly SET to balance out, because they get more utalisation only with more difficult to render games, instead of mega framerates.

one person fix by removing stereo drivers. (the real 3d type)

Last edited:
Back