• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME OVERCLOCKING?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rammstein874

Alright so i am trying to overclock my system but everytime i do anything my system BSOD.

Could anyone please let me know what settings i should be messing with to over clock my system.

I would like to OC my systems CPU & Ram.

My rig

Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory with Airflow Fan Model CMT8GX3M2A2000C9

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Systemboard:ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Video:EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-1000 1000W Continuous @50°C,80 PLUS GOLD Certified,Pipe-rock Modular Design,Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active- PFC ,Fan LED color switch Power Supply

Thanks to anyone that could help me!!!!

What are you changing to get the BSOD?
Do you have RAM timings/voltages specified manually in the BIOS?

What are you changing to get the BSOD?
Do you have RAM timings/voltages specified manually in the BIOS?

Well when i try putting the CPU Level Up to anything other then the defaults i get a BSOD. Also when i up the Ram Frequency to 1866 i get a BOSD.

110703224907.BMP

110703224914.BMP

110703224920.BMP

110703224920.BMP

110703224946.BMP

I have done no settings to this as i a not sure on what to put in there.

What are your goals for the overclock?

http://www.techreaction.net/2011/01/04/3-step-overclocking-guide-–-sandy-bridge-v0-1beta/

Is a pretty good starting point for how to OC an SB setup. I haven't had any real issues with my MIVE and OCing at all.

I just wanted to take full advantage of the stuff i have in my system...i should be able to do this no problem.

I just want to clock everything to be at a good speed.

Last edited:
The CPU Level Up? Is that some sort of automatic overclocking the board does? If so, that is your problem. You should be doing this all manual, otherwise it causes issues like this and there isn't an easy way to know what is going wrong. Here is how I start with a new system:

Keep the processor stock and see how far I can get the voltage down. This gives a starting point for voltage versus speed.
I then start adding speed to the processor until it isn't stable.
After that, I add a little bit more voltage and see how fast I can run it while stable.

This isn't something that you can just set and expect it to work. This is going to take time and effort to something that is ideal and works.

That auto stuff has really gotten much better, but its still the first place I would look. disalble that like thiddy said and try it manually.

Ok well what setting would that be i am super noob when it comes to this stuff sorry

I have the same board and processor.
The asus software based overclocking utility isn't that great, does mild overclocks to about 4.0ghz.

but i used the profile selector in the bios, i think the two options are 4.2 and 4.6ghz.
I simply selected 4.6 and it set voltages and i've been flying like that since. you can still tweak a few things if you want but i hav'nt found a need to yet.

Back