• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do these temps sound right to anyone???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reddragon

Registered
Hows it going peeps!!!!!!

I was hoping someone or more than someone can tell me if this sounds right, Ill try to keep it to the point and give all correct info on what I have. ok, here we go.

I recentley built a new system and was wondering if the CPU temps sound good to you guys, heres what I have....

Cooler Master HAF X
Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard
Intel Core i7 950 "running at stock speeds"
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
12GBs of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 "running XMP mode at 1600, of course"
Asus GTX 560 TI "running at stock speeds"
XFX GTS 320MB XXX edition "this is my physics card"
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w "powering everything"

I have a few harddrives but there not important here.....ok so now that we have all the goods laid out heres what im looking at at this moment with nothing running but ie9 and the norm like ZoneAlarm, Asus Probe 2, and Diskeeper as you can see on the Asus Probe 2 that the CPU temp says 46 degress Celsius and thats with really nothing running and with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler attached to the CPU, keep in mind I am aware that the Intel Core i7's have the memory controller on the CPU it self and is no longer on the motherboard which I do believe that means the more RAM the warmer the CPU. So my question is does this sound right to you considering my setup?????.....one more thing, I did an intel burn test on max and CPU never went over 70 degrees celsius, actually it fluctiuated between 69 and 70 but never more then that.

Thanks and I appriciate all the answers that will be given........

cpu temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's too warm for stock speeds, with that cooler. Try switching your memory to one of the non-xmp settings. Unless you have VERY fast RAM, (and you don't), the XMP settings will be boosting up your RAM voltage and speed, for very little gain in performance, and generate a lot of extra heat.

Generally speaking, for the i7, you want higher multiplier, and looser memory settings (which are needed to get those higher multipliers).

What is your Vcore setting?

my core voltage is at 1.30625 volts...in other words stock......I dont really want to drop the ram down.....I do live in florida and its ussually around 80 to 85 degrees in my office during the day since I only run the ac at 85.....the temps really isnt an issue to me, before I added 6GBs and was running only on 6GBs at 1600mhz my temps were 40 to 42c, after adding the extra 6GBs is when I saw a jump in tempsof around 4 degress. I did reseat the cooler last night after posting and I am now back at 42 to 44c and under full load it still never goes above 70c in both prime95 and intel burn test "both at max burn and test"

like I said im happy, just wondering what other ppl thought....so thanks, and reply back anytime

The "never goes above 70°C" part, is good.

What I'm concerned about is that it's getting near 70°C. (under full load of course), at stock speeds. It should be about 65°C , despite your warm ambient air temp, at full load, with that cooler.

I'm in Southern CA, very close to the desert, so I know about warm ambient temps, and I also air cool my systems.

I believe that your system can run faster, and cooler, with different settings, but my i7 is on a P6 motherboard, and doesn't have that BIOS, so I can't test it for you. Specifically, that your XMP mode is running your RAM (and thus the controller for it), too hot, and will lead to premature failure of the cpu or RAM. That's just my opinion, I can't test it/prove it.

If you're happy with the settings on your system, that's all that matters.

ok so after one day of reseating the cpu cooler my temps are looking pretty good.....cpu temp at idel is 42c to 44c and at full load 67c to 68c with vcore 1.26v and thats with xmp set to 1600mhz......im happy but still open for replies

thanks earthlings!!!!!!:attn:

No problemo!

BTW, lots of low rent folks moving into that arm, you might think of moving to keep ahead of the gov's effort to keep everyone happy. Unless your poor. Heck, better systems are now dumping trash into suns in the Jersey Nebula. Solar expansion has taken out 3.5 billion lifeforms only 16 LY from your location. Urban redevelopment can be ugly........

Last edited:
Back