• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about the "Turbo" CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sic

I have a quick question. I am building a new rig and I am torn between 2 processors. The AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban and the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban. They are obviously very similar but I was wondering about the "Turbo" part of the 1100T model.

So here are my two questions:

1.) What does this mean? I did some research on it but if someone could explain it to me in a simplier way that would be great.

2.) Do I need a special mobo for this processor? Because I did notice that Intel has a similar feature and they have a few mobos that say "supports Intel turbo processors."

Thanks! :salute:

Turbo means if the processor is running cool enough, and you aren't using all cores, it will automatically (and mildly) overclock the cores you are using. The 'T' in 1090T and 1100T means the same thing, 'turbo,' and they both do it.

To be honest, none of the AMD hexes are worth it at this point. Bulldozer is coming soon, and if you don't want to wait, Sandy Bridge offers better performance for just a few bucks more with the 2500k.

Not all the cores accelerate under load, just part of them. That's the key thing to keep in mind. It's a power saving/heat limiting measure. Most overclockers disable that feature so that all the cores accelerate together.

Last edited:
Ahhh, gotcha. To be honest it was between these AMD's and the Intel i5 2500K Sandy Bridge. I just always have had Intel's and I wanted to switch it up a little bit. The idea of 6 cores intrigues me. I might take another look at the i5. Thanks guys.

If you want to give AMD a shot, wait a month or so for the new stuff. Supposedly it will be competitive.

Id say its definitely worth giving AMD overclocking a good go round, lots of fun IMO. The thing is that BD is going to be dropping onto the scene soon and even if you dont get one of those chips the current thubans should drop in price a good bit. If you cant wait then Id say get the cheapest quad you can slap into it and then upgrade later(or an unlockable dual core even)

Well I am in no rush so I think im going to wait until the new processors come out and see what the price of the Thuban does. Either way it's a win win for me. Either I can fit the new processors into my budget or the older ones drop in price and I save anyway.

Back