• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I don't know how to Overclock my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icey67Icey

I wanna know how to overclock an AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor for Content Creation purposes
I've heard that between 3.8 and 4GHz should be good but since i am a idiot idk how to do it
And also here are some other specs:
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770
Motherboard: ASUS M5A87
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Idk this PC i rn have is built from my older brother

Dear sir,

You are not correct in speed of ph-II 1090 being 4.0 ghz.. IIRC you will be lucky to hit 3.2-3.4 as the MB plays a big part in OCing them.. what are you planning on cooling this with?
We have some guides on here about overclocking PH-II x4 & x6 cpu’s

Um.........3.8-4.0 is about average OC on air for a 1090T. Not on a stock cooler, but decent air cooler. 4.0 is not that hard. OP's motherboard kinda sucks for this but I'd try it.

I was able to hit 4.4 Ghz stable with my ASUS M5A97 v1.0 with a Cooler Master 212x and 4.5 Ghz on the same board with a Noctua NH-D14.

As Mr. Scott mentioned, your motherboard is not a good candidate for overclocking. It features a very small 4+1 VRM section that lacks a heatsink for cooling. That does not mean you can not overclock on it. It simply means that overclocking can create excessive heat in the VRM with no way for it to escape, potentially killing the motherboard. OC at your own risk. Here is a link to an excellent guide for overclocking that awesome older beast, the 1090T.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/596023-Dolk-s-Guide-to-the-Phenom-II

P.S. Maddmutt, the base clock for the 1090T is 3.2 Ghz and it boosts up to 3.6Ghz. This is of course without any overclocking and at stock settings.

+1 to Mr Scott and Blay.

In my signature is a guide to overclocking your chip... check it out!

EDIT: In Blay's post above...

Last edited:
Wow.. I was way off on that one.
Thank guys for the help. It’s the old age. You guys should get a +1 for the save:)

Back