• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPUID and memory speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all,
Its that time again and im starting into a new I5 rig.

Got some ram rated at PC3-16000, but when I look at cpuid, it tells me its only PC-10700. Have checked the ram codes with the product spec, and it says it should be 1600.

How reliable is cpuid for this ?

Office721.jpg

Last edited:
Note the XMP profile... DDR3 2k is what you have.

Can you link to your sticks at newegg or the manufacturer?

Yeah the sticks have the code TXD38192M2000HC9KDC-L, and they match the PC3-16000 on several sites, so this looks correct.

Not sure what the XMP profile, but i'm sure there info around here on what is does.

Cheers

XMP means something like "xtreme memory profile" and is actually the overclocked profile of the memory, i.e. what it will do when pushed with more voltage and or relaxed timings.

From the OCZ Support FAQ, which also applies to your TeamG...
Q: CPU-z reports the "Max. Bandwidth" of my OCZ ram to be XXX, when I bought YYY. Did I get the wrong ram? Ex: PC2-8500 shows PC2-6400 in CPU-z.

A: CPU-z sets the "Max Bandwidth" field under the SPD tab to whatever the highest bootable speed programmed on the ram modules SPD (Serial Presence Detect) is. Most motherboards will not boot (by default when new or from a "cleared CMOS" state) at ram speed higher than 800 for DDR2 or 1333 for DDR3. Therefore to ensure compatibility and a proper boot OCZ programs no more than that speed into the SPD. This has nothing to do with how fast the ram modules are capable of running, or what we guarantee that kit to run. More info about what SPD does can be found in this article...

Why CPU-Z doesn’t match your memory’s advertised speeds
http://icrontic.com/articles/why-cpu-z-doesnt-match-your-memorys-advertised-speeds

Back