• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

check my OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noob_smoke

Registered
Yo everyone, I got and amd 130 sargas 2.6ghz off newegg it unlocked to a athlon II x2! :thup: I also overclocked it to 2.9ghz with no voltage increase. I was wondering if someone could double check my OC make sure everything looks cool?

I used Intel burn test for 50 passes and it was stable, also I ran prime95 for about 7 hours and it was stable still. I been running it for a few days now and everything seems okay. I would like to push it further but for some reason the temps always show @ 36c no matter what. :rain:

Wait a sec, let me post some more info. I just never overclocked before so I have no idea what I was doing tbh.

I wanted to make sure my ram and stuff was fine because I have no idea what it should be running at.

DDR2 4096 mb's
NB frequency is @ 1840.1 mhz
DRAM frequency is @ 230.0 mhz

FSB : DRAM 1:1 4.0-3-3-9-12-1t

I also this as the following hardware.
Biostar ta790gx am2+ mobo.
Mushkin ram *not sure which kind*
Corsair tx750 watt psu.

It would be helpful if you also posted pics of CPU-z tabs: "Memory" and "SPD". One thing we don't know yet is what your overclocked ram frequency is. Your ram is rated for 800 mhz but if you are overclocking the fsb and you started with the ram at 800 then it may by now be running too fast for true stability. CPU-z tab: "Memory" will show what the present overclocked speed of the ram bus is. Multiply that number by 2 to get the DDR2 speed.

It also seems to me you would do well to have your NB frequency a little higher. Stock nonoverclocked is 2000 mhz. It should easily handle 2400 mhz and that would benefit memory performance. You may also need to give the NB (actually, CPUNB) more voltage, maybe to 1.225 if you increase the frequency, however.

Also, could you put your system info in your "sig". Now that you've posted several times that feature should be open to you.

Attachments

• Sig.JPG
    Sig.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Your memory is severly underclocked. It's rated at a DDR bus speed of 400 (DDR2 800) and you are only running it at 230/460. You need to adjust your ram speed divider so that the memory starts at 333 DDR/666 DDR2. Let's have a picture of the memory section of your bios if you need help with that. You may need to take something off of "Auto" to see the manual divider choices.

Please upload the pics directly with your posts rather than giving thumbnails and links. There is a built in forum tool for this. Just click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the new post window, then click on "Manage Attachments" and the rest will be obvious.

all gud?

Attachments

• mem.JPG
    mem.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 78
  • spd.JPG
    spd.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 79
  • cpu.JPG
    cpu.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Much better. Now add the CPU-z tab: "CPU" to that group of two to make a triad.

Thanks. Your HT Link frequency is too low. Adjust that parameter in bios so that its between 1600-1800.

What's your ram voltage set to in bios?

Hold on I will check, I can not show pictures of my bios since I no longer own a camera. D;

I changed the HT Link to 1.6ghz and that's the max my bios lets me ramp it up to. My voltage configuration tab says my memory is @ 1.25v HT @ 1.20v and chipset @ 1.25v.

Attachments

• cpu.JPG
    cpu.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 71
Your memory voltage should be set to considerably higher than that. Look at the CPU-z tab: "SPD". These are the recommended timings and voltages that your ram is supposed to be set to at various speeds according to info the manufacturer has programmed into the modules. The top speed it is rated at is 400/800. You are running it at 460/920. I doubt it will be stable at that speed under stress. Lower your start up memory speed one notch and set the memory voltage to approximately 1.85-1.9.

Attachments

• EPP.JPG
    EPP.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 71
Oh my bad, my memory is already @ 1.95v I guess I wrote down the wrong number in my previous post. D;

Okay, the thing to do now is to stress test the system. Download and install HWMonitor and have it open on your desktop while you run the Prime95 blend test. Prime95 is designed to put the processor under 100% load (or nearly so) and work the memory hard too. If your system is unstable you will get BSOD or one or more if the core workers will stop and you will get an error message to that effect in Prime95.

But first, relock the unlocked core so we can get a "core temp" reading because when you unlock cores you loose the ability to read core temps. With unlocked cores you can only get a "CPU" temp which is really a motherboard socket area temp, not as important as the core temp. So lock that core back up, open HWMonitor, start Prime95 blend test and run it for 15 minutes. Then post back with pics of the Prime95 interface and the HWMonitor interface. We can then get a temp differential between CPU temp and core temp and use that differential to estimate core temp when you unlock the core again.

There is two spots in the bios to disable ACC and I disabled both but it still was running as a dual core.

Also IGNORE that AMD k10 thing, it was running as a dual core. I reopened it and it was viewing back to and athlon right after the prime95 was finished.

Attachments

• ramtest.JPG
    ramtest.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 67
Weird that the cores both still show when you turn it off in ACC! and notice that the bus speed and fated FSB (aka, "HT Link speed") don't show now at all. But the good news is the core temp does show as a dual core. Some strange things going on here! Reenable ACC and see if the core temps still show, would you?

No, wait a minute. Notice that there is no differential in core temps between max and min. Usually with unlocked cores the core temp shows "0" but sometimes it will give another value.

By the way, what kind of CPU cooler are you using?

Looking at the HWMOnitor values it its the case that either THRM or TMPIN2 represent the CPU temperature. So we'll just have to go with that.

Last edited:
I do not know why but for some reason it wont go back to a single core when disabling ACC. As for the temperatures I have the bios to boot down the computer once it hits 60c is that okay?

Btw for cooling I am using the stock heat sink! ^..^ I don't really know what to buy? I was thinking about the Hyper 212+ next week maybe. I am not too worried about damaging the processor I have now, considering the other one I have is a phenom x4 9600 2.3ghz *not much better LoL* I just bought this sargas to mess around with.

I been thinking about building a new pc when BD comes out? not sure when thats happening, was hoping the prices would drop a tiny bit more on the 1090T 6 core amd processor.

The hyper 212+ gives great bang for the buck. But its tall. Measure your case from the outside of the left side panel to the outside of the right side panel. It needs to be at least 8" wide at that dimension to provide clearance for any of the 120mm fan-based tower coolers. If its not that wide, move down to a 92mm fan-based tower cooler like the Arctic Coolering Freezer Pro 7.

Back