• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 Rig Build [Need Opinions]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaradclement

Hey guys, I've recently started my research for a new gaming rig coming up and I am in need of some expert thought.

Here is my current build, keep in mind I have a case and cd-drive already, and my budget is $800-$1000. Right now it is at $960.

CPU- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Mobo- ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD
PSU- Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W
RAM- CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

...and a 1tb hdd, coolermaster hyper212 cpu cooler, windows 7, blah blah.

My main concern is around the GPU and PSU. I want to stay with Nvidia, but would it be worth it to upgrade the 580, or stick with the 570? Also with the PSU, is 1000 watts overkill? Would I be okay getting an antec 650w or 750w and save a few dollars? Modular is nice, but in the end I don't ever look in my computer case so it doesn't matter to me.

Thank you, also if you see any flaws in my build (you need better ram, etc) please let me know! I've been out of the loop for a while and desperately need to catch up!

I would get a Z68 mobo for overclocking ability, you can't overclock on the H67 from what I've read.
Also, I'm pretty sure you have to use dual channel on 1155, so I would go with some 8GB 1600 RAM.

PSU - my vote would be Corsair or Seasonic 750W

Agree with the ram. 1155 skt uses dual channel memory so change it to 2x4gb sticks as 8th is plenty enough for anything you want to do unless u are going to use alot of ram dependent programs (video encoding ect).

The mobo you have chosen does no support overclocking. Considering you have gone for the k version CPU change it to a mobo that is either a p67 or z68. I would suggest a z68 to take advantage of the additional features it gives over the p67.

For the setup I would also change the psu to a QUALITY 650-700w psu. Even if you wanted to sli/xfire in the future u would be ok.

The 570 would be fine for what you want personally I couldn't justify the price of the 580 for the performance gains over the 570 but it's entirely a personal opinion.

Agree with the ram. 1155 skt uses dual channel memory so change it to 2x4gb sticks as 8th is plenty enough for anything you want to do unless u are going to use alot of ram dependent programs (video encoding ect).

The mobo you have chosen does no support overclocking. Considering you have gone for the k version CPU change it to a mobo that is either a p67 or z68. I would suggest a z68 to take advantage of the additional features it gives over the p67.

For the setup I would also change the psu to a QUALITY 650-700w psu. Even if you wanted to sli/xfire in the future u would be ok.

The 570 would be fine for what you want personally I couldn't justify the price of the 580 for the performance gains over the 570 but it's entirely a personal opinion.
Good to know we agree on everything :thup:

A friend also suggested I get a 6.0 gb/s hdd to take advantage of that sata port on the motherboard, so I upgraded my 3.0 to 6.0. Like I said, I was out of the loop heh.

If only your friend knew that SATA III (6.0gb/s) on a HDD is a complete marketing gimmick since HDD's can't even push half that, which is SATA II speeds. :thup: SATA III is SSD only territory.

I have a quote almost done for you, but there's decision between a higher end motherboard and PSU or 8GB of RAM over 4GB. The real question is whether you'd ever be interested in getting a second 570 as an upgrade in the future.

Also, are you considering overclocking at all? Some people don't want to period, and if you're set on your decision, I respect that. I'm just here to say that if you do consider it, you could take the CPU to 4.5GHz or more. No overclocking = H67 board = no SLI = smaller PSU = you could get the 2600 possibly, or go away quite short of your $1000 budget.

Last edited:
I do not plan to overclock, stock setting for everything. (yes I do realize I'm on an overclockers forum hehe)

So would this ram be my best bet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

Also, I chose this psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

A friend also suggested I get a 6.0 gb/s hdd to take advantage of that sata port on the motherboard, so I upgraded my 3.0 to 6.0. Like I said, I was out of the loop heh.
Then you don't need a "k" processor. That has an unlocked processor for overclocking.

thats the thing though... we all start out not "planning to" overclock, but in the end the curiosity bug catches on and we do, whether it is to get the most out of our systems, or trying to avoid shelling out for a upgrade untill it realy needed, but in the end we all end up going down that path.

given the fact as how easy it is to o/c the new sandy bridge processer, (and for the little difference in price btw the k and non k versions) it just makes sence to go for it now.
trust me when you get 6-12 months down the road and begin to think about o/c you will regret the fact you didnt :bang head

but at the end of the day its totally up to you, we can only offer sugestions
:shrug:

IMHO, if you have ABSOLUTLY no intention of o/c ever, then i would go for either the 2600 or 2500 non k processer and stick with the H67 mb.

Nooster, I think I will get the K series, only because it's $10 more. Thank you for your advice!

I ended up with a semi-final list of the following.

mobo - ASUS P8P67 LE LGA 1155 Intel P67 (I don't think I'll ever overclock and the z68 mobos i could afford didnt have IDE connectors, am I missing something :confused: )

gpu - EVGA GTX 570

psu - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 750W

cpu - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (only $10 more, why not)

ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I also have a semi-noobish question. Should I even invest in an after market cpu cooler? I always have, more for looks than anything, but is it necessary with no overlocking?

If only your friend knew that SATA III (6.0gb/s) on a HDD is a complete marketing gimmick since HDD's can't even push half that, which is SATA II speeds. :thup: SATA III is SSD only territory.

I have a quote almost done for you, but there's decision between a higher end motherboard and PSU or 8GB of RAM over 4GB. The real question is whether you'd ever be interested in getting a second 570 as an upgrade in the future.

Also, are you considering overclocking at all? Some people don't want to period, and if you're set on your decision, I respect that. I'm just here to say that if you do consider it, you could take the CPU to 4.5GHz or more. No overclocking = H67 board = no SLI = smaller PSU = you could get the 2600 possibly, or go away quite short of your $1000 budget.

I would like to stay with a single video card. I wish I was able to get more ram, I'm an avid FRAPS user and would love the extra bit to get smoother video. But I'm sure 8gb will be fine... i hope. If worse comes to worse I'll drop another $60 to get 16gb. The price of RAM is ridiculously cheap now, I love it!

Looks good, except a Corsair 600CX will run any single GPU configuration. If you want a little more, get a TX650, but past that is overkill.

You can get $15 off a combo with W7 and the 2500K. :thup:

what do you need an IDE connection for?

here is what i have for you based on most of your parts (with a little tweek.)

notice that new egg has a deal for the power supply +a free dvd drive (assuming that thats why you need the PATA slot)
ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 03 15.00.jpg

i have that ps, its modular and will be amole for what you need (given that no cross fire or o/c but still plenty of headroom).

if im wrong about the PATA device let me know.

otherwise a solid build (All for $750~ after rebates)

Back