• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used OWC SSD's before?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DigitalMonkey

Those drives when you go to Sandforce website are listed as using the newer Sandforce controller. That controller has given what seems a goodly number of people trouble. You could be one of those who has zero issues on a later Intel "native" controller or AMD native Sata 3 controllers. Forget Nvidia chipset and most third party onboard controllers as they are generally not going to approach Sata 3 (6GBs) speeds.

Those drives when you go to Sandforce website are listed as using the newer Sandforce controller. That controller has given what seems a goodly number of people trouble. You could be one of those who has zero issues on a later Intel "native" controller or AMD native Sata 3 controllers. Forget Nvidia chipset and most third party onboard controllers as they are generally not going to approach Sata 3 (6GBs) speeds.

So whats the problem people are receiving from using the new version of sandforce?

I was thinking of using OCZ Vertex 3, but I keep reading that people are suffering from BSOD problems. Im just looking for a stable SSD with good performance. If anyone have any suggestions, let me know.

So whats the problem people are receiving from using the new version of sandforce?

I was thinking of using OCZ Vertex 3, but I keep reading that people are suffering from BSOD problems. Im just looking for a stable SSD with good performance. If anyone have any suggestions, let me know.

Its not BSOD's that are occurring in so much as stuttering and dead stops. I filed a small claims court suit against NCIX and OCZ distributor here in Canada. Their latest firmware still does not allow the drive to run in my laptop and i cannot get a credit or a refund from either of them. 90 % of the people running them now appear to not have any problems. Its only laptop users and nvidia that i am seeing in the forums.

I find it quite entertaining. I've been following this BSOD bug for the last few months and they've blamed everything from Intel CMOS curruption, OEM sata cables, SATA timings, users not running WEI (lol), users not clearing CMOS, overclocks, not secure erasing before reinstalling OS, AHCI drivers. They've had 3 firmware fixes already which haven't fully solved the problem

As stated in this post, they blamed as good as everything already but i can tell loudly, the true issue is the drive itself and nothing different.

I am running a Vertex 3 MI 240 GB now as a secondary game drive, and so far no problem with. However, some time ago i had a 120 GB Vertex MI for OS drive and that caused BSODs, freezes and programs locking up (almost any program, there was no limitation on that). So my system wasnt responsible for, its the drive thats to blame, sorry to say. The firmware probably only helps in order to remove stress from the controller but the issue is most likely much deeper and it may need a new SF design.

It may work properly, but thats a dice, and not sure how long the drive will last because i am worried that the SF controller someday will burn down (happened to many people already). Although the Toshiba toggle nand will last for eternal, but that doesnt help when design is having failures Personally i do only recommend SF drives as a secondary game drive (may work good for very long time) but for OS i would take a M4 or Intel SSD, they can handle the continuous stress a OS is generating without making you worried. I mean, SF basically had the most innovative design from any controllers, but they kinda risked to much steps at once and that was causing unknown risk and users being labor rats.

Besides: Hotplugging has never been enabled on my system drive, and the OS would never allow to enable it, so i dont know why OCZ recommend to disable hotplug because that only helps on non OS drives, as far as my common sense goes. All in all the whole story is just to much of a mess. A user can expect just to stick in a drive inside theyr bay and then it works proper, thats the theory at least. ;)

One thing i would like to clearly state: Flashing your SSDs is at the risk of the users at 100%, means, even if a manufacturer is releasing a new firmware, they will not give any warranty for and IT WILL BREAK WARRANTY, in theory, however, in real terms they may not be able to detect. Under optimal circumstances, users have a issue, manufacturer do recommend flashing it using theyr own tool, then the issue still here. Users RMA the drive, the manufacturer says that it got flashed and no warranty anymore, so issue solved, for the manufacturer at least. ;)

Last edited:
My Solid 3 has been odd already. Computer restarted one day, and just wouldn't boot until i completely turned it off and unplugged the Solid 3. Saw an orange light inside the SSD and thought "Crap, it's dead". After i unplugged it and cut all power from it, and plugged it back in, the light is green and all is well.

You should never come to the situation you have to unplugg, its itself a failure, but at least it worked, just wonder for how long.

Back