• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting on wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireMogle

I am a poor, poor college student who has little room in my, um, room. The question is would there be anything wrong with mounting a couple severs onto the wall. One is a File/Print with 4 HD, the other is a proxy/router/firewall using linux. Ive seen it before, just wondering if anything bad can come from this.

What kind of wall? Cinderblock or sheet rock? Dorm/apartment/house? Own/rent?

I know that when I lived in the dorm we were not allowed to drill holes in the cinderblock wall. (But we were also not allowed to hang posters. It was a "fire hazard". In a cinderblock fortress. Right.)

I am a big fan of putting stuff on the walls to fully utilize space. The only problems I could foresee would be if it was a sheetrock wall and you missed the studs. The computer tower might come crashing down one day when the anchors ripped out of the sheet rock.

If it is cinder blocks you can mount your freakin' car on the wall if you want.

I say get a big beefy bit for the power drill and start randomly drilling holes in the walls, floor, and ceiling until it is time to take a nap. :D

Just put a couple of shelves screwed into the wall studs. That way, the boxes are reusable without bolt holes in the side, and most won't even notice the addition.

I was just going to put the mobo on the wall with screws, not the case or anything. Disperse the weight out in the sheetrock among the parts so it wouldent come out. Would that work?

Go get a cork bulletin board and some push pins from walmart. Then pin your mobo to the corkboard. The heavier stuff may need some duct tape support. That way, the only holes in the wall are for the bulletin board, and you can easily move it if neccessary.

Darrenct said:
Go get a cork bulletin board and some push pins from walmart. Then pin your mobo to the corkboard. The heavier stuff may need some duct tape support. That way, the only holes in the wall are for the bulletin board, and you can easily move it if neccessary.

I like the way you are thinking. Why not just stack all the computers on top of each other. Or better yet, Velco. Stick hose puppies onto the celing.

Back